Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-28-2018

Netherlands

2 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd with external monitor causes beeping sound

2018-12-28, 17:55 PM

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd generation, 20JD. When I start the laptop being in a reversed V-shape position on my table (as shown below), connected to an external display via a digital cable (HDMI or Display port) and login into Windows 10, immediately a beeping sound starts from the system sounds of Windows 10 (see picture below). As soon as I fold the laptop to the closed position, the beeping stops. I can fold it back to its reversed V-shaped position and the beeping sound is still not to hear. However, if I reboot and login the beeping sound returns. Can you explain how I can login into windows without a beeping sound and without the need of changing my laptop's position?

The problem occurs with or without the ultradock attached to it. It occurs with Displayport (via docking station or USB-C adapter) and with HDMI. It does not occur with VGA via USB-C adapter.

Options

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd with external monitor causes beeping sound

2020-02-20, 21:25 PM

2 years late, but I also had this issue (after a motherboard replacement). Its related to the key overflow beep thats baked into all lenovos. When the keyboard goes flat, a sensor error recognizes it as all the keys being pressed and sends the info to the OS. In Windows, the error is handled by the "beep" service (yes this is a real service). In my case it required a motherboard replacement (keyboard replacement didn't work).

You can test the beep service by holding down any 6 keys, the beep will be exactly the same as the V/tent mode beeping.

If you can't replace the motherboard, you can use 2 work arounds. (You'll miss other system beeps however)

Easy mode: mute system sounds through the audio mixer.

"Not afraid to type on the command line" mode:

In an elevated command prompt enter the following commands.

net stop beep

sc config beep start= disabled

Reboot

To re-enable the beep service use

sc config beep start= boot

Options

16 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

19 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd with external monitor causes beeping sound

2021-02-21, 17:16 PM

@ Anonymous wrote:

2 years late, but I also had this issue (after a motherboard replacement). Its related to the key overflow beep thats baked into all lenovos. When the keyboard goes flat, a sensor error recognizes it as all the keys being pressed and sends the info to the OS. In Windows, the error is handled by the "beep" service (yes this is a real service). In my case it required a motherboard replacement (keyboard replacement didn' work).

You can test the beep service by holding down any 6 keys, the beep will be exactly the same as the V/tent mode beeping.

If you can' replace the motherboard, you can use 2 work arounds. (You' miss other system beeps however)

Easy mode: mute system sounds through the audio mixer.

"Not afraid to type on the command line" mode:

In an elevated command prompt enter the following commands.

net stop beep

sc config beep start= disabled

Reboot

To re-enable the beep service use

sc config beep start= boot

I have this same problem, but, the touchpad is also malfunctioning. Basically the cursor is still on the screen in tablet mode and it responds to the touchpad. It also means I cannot access the touchscreen keyboard as usual.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to share. Thank you.

~ Digital Audio Workstation Life ~
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms