Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeremyzed
Paper Tape
Views: 128
Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3nd ssd encryption questions

The very first ThinkPad that I actually own- X1 yoga gen 3 is coming, can’t be more excited.

But I have a few questions in regards to hard drive encryption, I am confused about different encryption methods especially the Opal2.0...

1. I want to remove the drive that comes with my x1 and use it elsewhere. With the opal encryption as I understand it will encrypt the drive automatically if a password was not set, With the automatic encryption without a password can I just put the drive in a different device(with different motherboard manufacturers) And use it without a hitch...

2. After putting in my new drive I am planning to use BitLocker software encryption to encrypt my drive as not much drives are IE1667. Are there any performance or security downsides of using software vs hardware BitLocker encryption? When a software BitLocker encrypted OS drive is put into a different system will it prompt to enter a recovery key? Will hardware BitLocker behave differently?

How will I be able to unlock a BitLocker drive with a device with no TPM built in?

Sorry for asking so much question... Thanks!

3. Oh, does anyone knows the model of SSD in the 256gb version of x1y3? Is it pm981? Thanks!

ujda765
Punch Card
Views: 108
Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3nd ssd encryption questions

1. yes you can, no problem, if you install your old m2 into a new lenovo, the system will be automatically updated to fit new hardwares and automatically activated.

2.there's no visible performance differences. When you turn on bitlock, windows will ask you to insert your usb flash driver to back up unlock files. You can use this flash driver to unlock your m2 driver in case of emergency.

Of course, there will be an issue-----many times we will never need this flash driver for many years, until one day, when you suddendly need it, you can't remember where it is. I hope this will not happen for you.

3. There are many possibilities, I ordered 2 x1y3s, one is samsung, the other is toshiba.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors