Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DennisG
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,327
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Nvidia and docking options

I've only seen older threads on this so I think a 2018 thread is in order.

As soon as the Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd gen machines are available, I will want to drive 2 external monitors. One is 1600 x 1200 and the other is 2560 x 1440.

In some of the CES announcements I heard about an Nvidia external docking station with "lightning" or something related to USB-C but augmented. I cannot find the information again, and someone who just visited me said that has been available for the 2nd generation version.

So is there an "obvious choice" for what to do to connect to ethernet, to printers, etc., and also drive those two screens? Sounds like the new Intel graphics on the Kaby Lake machines will be able to go to a higher resolution externally, but I want to consider the best option given that I have some additional expense budget this year!

Highlighted
Hakaslak
Punch Card
Views: 2,899
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen Nvidia and docking options

I think you're thinking of the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock, which has a Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics card embedded inside.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/acc500012

This article has a bunch of information on it:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Portable-Lenovo-Thunderbolt-3-dock-integrates-a-GTX-1050-GPU.278002.0....

It's not cheap at $400, but the normal Thunderbolt 3 docks are about $270.

Real_Enigma
Punch Card
Views: 2,887
Message 3 of 9

DennisG...

Take a look at this thread...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-Thunderbolt-3-Graphics-Dock-with-X16C/...

In it, I share my experience with both the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock and the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock as a docking team for my ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 2.

I think that thread should answer some of your questions. I also have some pictures up on my Amazon review at

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JFW3YT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerRev...

Hope that helps and enjoy your new rig!

Hakaslak
Punch Card
Views: 2,880
Message 4 of 9

I'd upvote you, give you kudos, or a thumbs up if this message board had that ability - thanks for your experimentation and review! I currently use AKiTiO Node TB3 with a pair of Lenovo TB3 docks daisy chained with the second port... this would let me cut down on a port... Smiley Very Happy
Real_Enigma
Punch Card
Views: 2,869
Message 5 of 9

Well, thanks, Hakaslak. That put a smile on my face. Glad you found it of some value!

Two ThinkPad TB3 Docks and an AKiTiO Node TB3? Wow! Got ports?

Hakaslak
Punch Card
Views: 2,860
Message 6 of 9

The two docks are daisy chained, and the AKiTiO Node is on the second TB3 dock - X1C5. I think the spec for TB3 eGPUs specify that eGPU enclosures cannot be part of a daisy chain, so there aren't any certified docks for GPUs with two TB3 ports.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,850
Message 7 of 9

^^^

Hey aren't you folks seeing the +star icon and the text "0 Kudos" here at the bottom of each post? Please click on that star to give kudos to a post you like Smiley Happy.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 2,760
Message 8 of 9

Does anyone have info on the release date of the TB3 Graphics dock in the USA? My Google skills seem to be failing me atm.

Hakaslak
Punch Card
Views: 2,757
Message 9 of 9

I totally missed that last week - thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors