cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwilson19
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,701
Message 21 of 37

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist&am

Well, with my return window rapidly closing, I went ahead and Enabled the Thunderbolt BIOS assit option in the system BIOS. I saved settings and rebooted.

The screen was black for while and then finally the Lenovo logo boot screen appeared and instead of saying "press enter to interrupt the boot process" it said "configuring thunderbolt controller. Please do not power off!" and after a few moments it rebooted again and .... success. The Lenovo logo came up again like a typical boot and I was able to boot into Linux (Fedora 28).

For the record, I installed Linux (Fedora 28) before touching the Thunderbolt BIOS option. I am using a X1Y3 with an i5 and the 1440p 500 nit screen.

X1Y3
Paper Tape
Views: 2,650
Message 22 of 37

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist&qu

Thanks for the update, gwilson19. Glad to hear you have a working machine!

I should have mentioned that I was running Arch (not dual booting) on my X1Y3 before enabling the Thunderbolt BIOS Assist option. I'm also running the i7-8650U.

I also have an update. Today I received my machine from the Memphis repair facility after it had gone through Level 2 service. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm told that's what happened. I'm happy to say that they replaced my WLAN card without complaint, hooray! Though I'm less happy to say that one of the screws securing the backshell appears to be stripped. Oh well. This time, I allowed the techs to wipe my SSD and reinstall Windows -- I wanted to be sure they had all repair tools at their disposal.

As an experiment, given that I had twice been running Arch before enabling Thunderbolt BIOS Assist, I decided to see what would happen if I enabled it with a fresh Windows install. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it turns out that the I get the same behavior! Exactly the same symptoms: machine reboots and hangs at a black screen indefinitely.

So... round three for the repair facility, I guess?

Rydeen, do you have any details on this issue?

rajneeshmadhu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,466
Message 23 of 37

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist&am

I also ran into similar issue with my X1Y3 and motherboard replacement is the only solution from Lenovo
Highlighted
rajneeshmadhu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,488
Message 24 of 37

X1 Yoga Gen 3 - Enabling Thunderbold in Pre-Boot environment under BIOS renders system unusable

System Specifications:

- X1 Yoga (Gen 3) with i7-8650U (vPro) and 16GB RAM

- BIOS Version: 1.21

- Purchased June 2018

Just last week I enabled the Thunderbolt device support in Pre-Boot environment under BIOS (refer attached image). After saving the settings I was never able to restart the system. There was no display (BIOS splash screen) - just the blank screen with keyboard lights on. Pressing F1 gave me a single beep but screen was just dead black, though I could see the screen's backlight. Dropped the machine to Lenovo service center and they have confirmed that motherboard replacement would be necessary. I am surprised (and sad) that merely changing a BIOS setting renders this premium business laptop non-functional! I am also afraid that if I happen to enable Thunderbolt setting in BIOS again, will this scary issue recur and render my machine useless?

Lenovo - Please rectify this bug or remove this setting in BIOS completely. I am afraid that after expiry of base warranty if I happen to enable this setting again, who will pay for motherboard replacement? Is Lenovo planning any recalls because of this widely reported BIOS bug issue?

X1Y3
Paper Tape
Views: 2,440
Message 25 of 37

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 - Enabling Thunderbold in Pre-Boot environment under BIOS renders system unusable

Hi rajneeshmadhu,

I'm sorry to hear about your BIOS problems. I continue to have the same problems.

I have a few questions for you:

1) When you enabled Thunderbolt BIOS Assist, did you have a Thunderbolt docking station attached to the machine?

2) What OS were you running when the problem occurred?

3) How did you convince the repair center to replace your motherboard? I have sent my machine in for repair three times (twice explicitly asking for a motherboard replacement), but as far as I can tell they just re-flash the BIOS and send the machine back. Unsurprisingly, this leaves the Thunderbolt issue unresolved.

Rydeen -- Still very much looking forward to a response by your or another Lenovo employee.

rajneeshmadhu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,420
Message 26 of 37

Re: X1 Yoga Gen 3 - Enabling Thunderbold in Pre-Boot environment under BIOS renders system unusable

Thanks for your update and sorry to hear that you too experienced the same issue. My replies:

1) No

2)  Win10 Pro

3) I just explained them the situation and after 2 days I got an update a part replacement would be ncessary (I assume this would be MB)

I would like Lenovo to fix this issue asap or would start a campaign on social media. Sadly, I am left without my laptop for next 14 days! They have provided me the probable date for part replacement by 7 Sep 2018.

LENOVO: Can you please fix this issue at the earliest? I purchased one of the most premium notebooks in the market from one of the most reputed brand in this segment!!!

Ryanoolala
What's DOS?
Views: 2,300
Message 27 of 37

I can confirm the same issue is on the X280 as well.
I turned on the thunderbolt assist mode today, and i'm in the black screen boot loop.

Tried removing CMOS and WLAN card. Guess i'll have to head down to the service center..

4ever2loud
What's DOS?
Views: 2,199
Message 28 of 37

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist&qu

The Issue has been confimred to occur on a P52S. Removing the CMOS battery, internal battery, and WLAN card did not resolve the issue. A ticket has been filed with Lenovo and am waiting a response.

pkraskov
Paper Tape
Views: 2,152
Message 29 of 37

I run into same issue with my Lenovo P52 I bought just a few weeks ago.

Lenovo, what happens to you? Changing BIOS (call it UEFI if you want) settings bricks the device! I'm very upset.

First I entered into Black Screen after I changed Graphics Card to discrete. A few days it word fine, but then suddenly black screen. But this black screen at least "manageable" - you can blindly enter BIOS and change graphics card back to hybrid by key sequance: left, down, down, down, enter, down, down, enter, up, enter, F10, enter. I also noticed that sometimes screen start working by itself while staing in BIOS or on Boot menu (F12). Sometimes - time is unpredictable.

But now I discovered another BIOS settings - I had to try to change "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist" - I did and it bricked the box completly. It doesn't beep (*). It looks like it doesn't enter BIOS as well so you can not change everything back blindly as I explained in prevous paragraph. And according to feedbacks in this thread removing batteries and CMOS is not helpfull either. 

(*) bonus: I disabled beeps in bios, but noticed that it was beeping sometimes, sometimes not - yet another interesting issue. 

I'm currently out of the country for two weeks, should I open ticket now to be able to return it to service center on my return? 

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,232
Message 30 of 37

Dear customers,

Finally, development team found the condition to make the system bricked when enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode".

It is "Boot Mode" setting at  BIOS Setup -> Startup.

If the system boot in "Quick" boot mode, symptom doesn't happen when customer changes Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode.

But when boot mode is "Diagnostics", symptom happens.

Development team is preparing the BIOS solution, I'd like customer to boot the system in "Quick" boot mode when change the Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode.  After BIOS solution available, customer can change the Boot Mode as "Disagnostics".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors