cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OnyxDelta
Fanfold Paper
Views: 872
Message 1 of 22

Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist"

System Specifications:

- X1 Yoga (Gen 3) with i7-8650U and 16GB RAM

- BIOS Version: 1.19

- EC Version: 1.08

Hello, exactly one week ago, I changed enabled "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist" in the BIOS to support Linux.  Following this, the system refused to boot to anything but a black screen.  Thus, I sent the machine in for depot repair.  I just received the machine back again today and the same thing occurred after enabling the same setting.  After a long series of calls, I was told that no one is authorized to report BIOS bugs and that I should post here instead.  I sincerely hope this is fixed, as this is a major error that required a motherboard replacement previously and will most likely require one again.  I have started a new ticket for this repair and will be receiving a box tomorrow.  However, I wanted to make sure this is passed along to someone who can fix this error.

rbraith
What's DOS?
Views: 825
Message 2 of 22

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist&qu

I am experiencing exactly this same issue, but with a new ThinkPad P52s. Looks like I need to open a support case to get the motherboard replaced.

OnyxDelta
Fanfold Paper
Views: 796
Message 3 of 22

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist&am

I am sorry to hear about that. I really hope you can get it fixed.
Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 702
Message 4 of 22

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist&qu

Dear customer,

development team is aware of this issue.

As long as I understand your description, you will see the black screen hang when enable "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode" at BIOS Setup after your successfull install of Linux, am I correct?

I'm curious whether you had tried to enable the BIOS Asist Mode first, then install Linux to your X1 Yoga 3rd.

Because the ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd certified Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit as below, we'd like to know detail conditions how to recreate your symptom.

https://certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/201801-26053/

OnyxDelta
Fanfold Paper
Views: 690
Message 5 of 22

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist&am

Thank you so much for your reply. Your understanding of the issue is correct, however, it happens regardless of wehther Linux has been installed or not. The first time this happened to me, I had Windows 10 and Linux successfully installed on the system.  After I got the system back from Depot repair, no operating systems were installed (as I requested) and when I tried to enable the setting, the system still refused to boot to anything but a black screen and I still could not open the BIOS.

As far as the steps to recreate the issue:

1. Open BIOS during system boot.

2. Enable "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode" and press okay when it presents you with a message saying that the system will reboot once changes are saved and then it may take 15 seconds for the system to restart.

3. Exit BIOS saving changes.

4. Wait for the system to come back and it never does. It just halts where the keyboard backlight is enabled and the display remains backlit, but no image is present. When striking either "Enter" or "F1", an audible beep is heard, but nothing appears on the display.

I waited for 1 hour before turning off the system to see if it maybe took a longer time to set the setting, but still nothing changed. As a troubleshooting steps, I attempted to utilize the EC reset button at the bottom of the chassis and attempted to disconnect the battery and CMOS battery for 30 minutes. Neither of these things fixed the issue. After sending the system to Depot repair, they replaced the motherboard and that allowed me to get back to the BIOS. However, when the setting was enabled on that board, it bricked it as well.

rbraith
What's DOS?
Views: 676
Message 6 of 22

I would like to confirm that this issue seems to have nothing to do with the OS. Once "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode" is enabled in the BIOS, the system will no longer boot.

I'm seeing this on a P52s laptop and it is exhibiting exactly the same issues as reported for the X1 Yoga (3rd Gen).

gwilson19
Fanfold Paper
Views: 569
Message 7 of 22

I am pinging this issue because as a new owner of a Yoga X1 3rd gen, I am concerned that enabling this feature (to install Linux) will brick my machine. I'll have to return the machine if there is uncertainty on this issue.

Does the Lenovo engineering team have any guidance on the likelihood of hitting this bug or anything we can do to prevent it? Some guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 536
Message 8 of 22

Dear customers,

we are very sorry about this issue.

ThinkPad development team is aware of this issue and under investigation.

gwilson19
Fanfold Paper
Views: 512
Message 9 of 22

Thanks Rydeen.

Can any users running the latest BIOS verify that they have been able to enable the Thunderbolt BIOS Assistant successfully without getting stuck at a blank screen?

SelectFrom
Paper Tape
Views: 434
Message 10 of 22

same here. 

I disabled Thunderbolt in the BIOS. Now I'm stuck with a black screen. Hard reset didn't work for me.

Top Kudoed Authors