Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Erefin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 980
Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd gen - constant electrostatic noise

Dear all, 

I've recently purchased a Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd gen 20LES01W00 (i.e., i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB Ram) and though it's a great device there's something that's driving me insane:

A constant background eloctrostatic noise. Its a high pitched 'bzzzzzzzzzzzz' and apparently it is emitted from the left part below the keyboard (below the 'caps' key) - when moving my ear close to this location I can hear a permanently 'wipp wipp wipp' sound in addition to the constant 'bzzzzzzzzz' eloctrostatic hum. These noises occur as soon as I start the laptop with any application (or without any, mind you) and is also existent when I use the laptop in any other mode, e.g., tablet mode. I have installed the newest BIOS with Lenovo Vantage. So far, neither restarting the notebook nor setting back Win10 Pro 64bit (the 'light and easy' setback) does help. 

What should I do? And what is that noise?

Cheers

-Felix

MohammadBQ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 956
Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd gen - constant electrostatic noise

same problem here . I bought my laptop thinkpad yoga 370 before 3 monthes and the problem start after I update my bios . I can hear a high-pitched noise  and it's defintly not the fan . after searching the internet I found that the  problem is very common with core i7 laptops when the laptop runs on very low frequency. but I'm pretty sure the problem sarts on mine after updating my bios for the first time (it seems that the update permits the cpu to run on low freq to save power)

Erefin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 951
Message 3 of 11

Hmmm, at least this would explain this obnoxious noise. Is there any way to downgrade the BIOS?

MohammadBQ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 917
Message 4 of 11

users reported that noise will disapear when disable intel speedstep from bios and using max perofrmance profile in win10 instead of balance  . but this will effect battery life dramatically so I didn't give a try  .  you can try and report back . 

EssenceBlue
SCSI Port
Views: 892
Message 5 of 11

If it has sth. to do with SpeedStep you could try to solve the issue with a tool called ThrottleStop. Deactivate Speedstep and activate SpeedShift instead. I had the noise too, but since using Throttlestop with SpeedShift I haven't heard it anymore. 

Erefin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 841
Message 6 of 11

Dear all,

as I still was still covered by guarantee, I now sent my Yoga back in to receive a new one, hoping this issue won't emerge anew. In case the same problem arises for the new Thinpad too, I'll definitely try out your recommendations and will let you know.

Cheers 

-Felix

MohammadBQ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 781
Message 7 of 11

any updates ?? did you receive new laptop ??

Erefin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 766
Message 8 of 11

Hey everyone, 

I've now had the laptop for three days so that I can reach a reliable conclusion: The new unit does not exhibit the electrostatic noise, even though the newest BIOS version is installed. Interesteingly, the same problem as before DID emerge about 30 minutes after I've installed the new BIOS update but then miraculously disappeared on its own afterwards. No noises now. 

Hence, it appears to be an interaction of deficient hardware and a certain BIOS version.

Cheers

Felix

Erefin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 713
Message 9 of 11

Dear all, 

the obnoxious noise has returned - at least partially. When I open programs (e.g. Outlook) or watch videos there is no electrostatic noise. However, whenever I SCROLL through an Internet page (Edge), a word document or a PDF-file, either with the trackpad or a mouse, an electrostatic 'brrrrrrrrr' will set in once more, until I've finished scrolling. This noise also occurs when booting the device. There's also a very quie 'bzzzzzzz' and 'pf-pf-pf' sound all the time, but it's fairly quiet.

In an attempt to fix it, I've downloaded ThrottleStop and activated Speed step and deactivated Speed Shift, but to no avail. :-/ 

What can I possibly do? Is it better with an i5?

Cheers

Felix

Erefin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 689
Message 10 of 11

Update: It gets even stranger: On some occasions the noise disappears after I've closed and opened the lid once again. On other time, there has been no noise but it reappears are closing and re-opening the laptop...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors