Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christat13
Paper Tape
Views: 11,269
Message 1 of 46

Thinkpad X1 Yoga Fan Constantly Running

Hello,

I received my new ThinkPad X1 Yoga yesterday and the fan is constantly on and the bottom of the laptop is warm.  Being a brand new laptop I am surprised at the amount of noise and can't understand why it is constantly going?  

So far I am very concerned and wondering if I should return it? Smiley Frustrated

Anyone else have any similiar issues and if so, any way to fix it?

Thank-you in advance,

Christa

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 11,149
Message 2 of 46

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga Fan Constantly Running

make sure Turbo is not enabled on cpu since when thats enabled it will make cpu work around 100% - 120% so then fan is constantly on even at idle so yeah if you disable turbo it should make fan more silent.
Llewxam
Paper Tape
Views: 11,065
Message 3 of 46

Same issue- The CPU fan on my X1 Yoga used to be on either max power or off all the time when plugged in, but a recent BIOS update (mostly) fixed this issue. The fan is still on most of the time, though at a lower speed, when the computer is idle or doing minimal work (i.e. one or two Chrome windows open). Could anyone help?

I am hesitant with turning off Turbo Boost because of the performance implications. Also, I'm not sure how much that would help: I have a ThinkPad X230 Tablet that I've used without fan problems/fan noise. I understand that the X230 Tablet is a fatter computer with more airflow, but this amount of fan noise is unacceptable for even an Ultrabook, especially given the $2000 price tag.

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 11,055
Message 4 of 46

Turning turbo boost off won't reduce much it only makes cpu Usage/ speed from 120% to 0% from there it will jump between 0%-120% it won't remain on turbo all the time so that's when it will make the fan either very low speed or even 0rpm when not needed I have disabled turbo boost in power management in my x1 Carbon since having it on only made cpu fan keep running on high or medium but when I disabled turbo boost and assigned energy saving profile it made the fan 0rpm most of the times and laptop would start the fan now and then when needed.
plexman
What's DOS?
Views: 11,021
Message 5 of 46

Hi All,

I've also just received my X1 yoga a few days ago and have noticed the same. The fan seems to run at full spped most of the time. It will switch off if I close down everything but as soon as I even open a web browser the fan kicks in.

What's the best way to disable turbo boost?

Highlighted
JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 11,019
Message 6 of 46

Check in power management app from Lenovo and see if turbo is enabled if so disable it and see if fan becomes quieter
plexman
What's DOS?
Views: 11,004
Message 7 of 46

I'm running windows 10 so don't have any power management app. I do have the lenovo settings app but there is no option to disable turbo boost. I also tried to lower the maximum porocessor state from 100% to 99%, 90% but the cpu is still using turbo boost.

andreas-k
What's DOS?
Views: 10,899
Message 8 of 46

Same Problem.. Bios Update did not help. The Fan is constantly running, it's annoying.. would be great see an official answer on that.

foxy_cpfc
Paper Tape
Views: 10,755
Message 9 of 46

Agreed.

My fan is constantly on whilst using Word and Excel for very light work...

...didn't experience this with my 3rd gen X1 Carbon.

A little concerned.

(love it otherwise!)

TimeTraveler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,726
Message 10 of 46

I'm really shocked Lenovo hasn't responded to this X1 Yoga fan problem. I've been on the fence about buying one of these but I might decide not to since there doesn't seem to be any answer to this problem (besides disabling the turbo boost, but I'm not sure how to disable it in Windows 7).

It seems like the majority of people I've seen purchase an X1 Yoga has complained about the fan problem

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors