Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe_e_e
Punch Card
Views: 3,445
Message 21 of 46

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga Fan Constantly Running

This is my 4th day with the X1 Yoga, and yes the first day or two the fan was spinnig constantly while Windows and other programs installed and updated.  However, this still continues to some extent even though I am not running anything heavy.  The CPU goes over 15% occationally, but most of the time it stays around or below 10%.  I have firefox, outlook, and nx-nomachine running, each using a few percent of CPU.

I am running CPUID HWMonitor to see what is happening in a little more detail: while the THM0 temperature is below 50 °C the fan stops or spins at really low RPM, which is fine.  Editing this post in firefox seems like a low enough load so the fan is not spinnig.  However, any mildly heavy action with the CPU spiking above 20% leads to THM0 going above 50 (55-65), and then it takes quite some time to cool down below 50 again.  A also noticed that disk activity seems to have an impact on the THM0 temperature.

I will keep monitoring the situation, but in general it seems that my X1 Yoga is using the fan much more than the old ThinkPad Yoga was.  Perhaps it is just an agressive fan control, which kicks in too early?  According to my monitoring I never reached THM0 above 69 °C, so perhaps the fan control could be relaxed a bit to allow slightly higher temperatures.

Best regards,

Karol

joe_e_e
Punch Card
Views: 3,354
Message 22 of 46

More than a week has passed now, and my situation does not look much better.  The fan is spinning most of the time (when docked in OneLink+ dock).  The CPU load is often around 10%, perhaps slightly higher when writing with a pen in OneNote.  However, my work-load is exactly the same as it was with my old ThinkPad Yoga 1st gen, and the old ThinkPad was dead quiet.  I do not understand why this new X1 Yoga must be so loud.  Could I have a faulty machine, is it an aggressive fan control, or aggressive turbo boost?

I can add that when undocked, the fan does not spin that often.  Temperatures tend to be about 5 °C cooler, and the CPU does not turbo boot that high.

All-in-all the noise profile of this new X1 Yoga is a huge disappointment so far (based on my 3 year experience with the ThinkPad Yoga 1st gen).

Best regards,

Karol

sumeetd
Paper Tape
Views: 3,306
Message 23 of 46

Hi,

I also recently bought the X1 TP yoga and have this annoying fan problem. Fan continuously runs and temp goes up to 85 constantly. I have the i7-6600/16GB model. I installed the latest BIOS update but this doesnt help.

With the TP fancontrol in smart mode, it helps somewhat but not much. Any known solutions?

Thanks

Highlighted
joe_e_e
Punch Card
Views: 3,173
Message 24 of 46

Is there anyone from Lenovo on this topic?  It would be good to get some technical help.

1.  The first thing to know would be whether the fan issue can be a HW problem.  Is there a way that we can check for HW problems ourselves first?  For example, are the temperatures, I have reported previously, normal?  They seem somewhat high to me for a CPU that is hardly under any load.

2. Why is there such a big difference in observed temperatures between running on battery and running the same tasks on AC?  Is this some HW problem (isolation?) or something else?

3. I managed to eliminate some of the fan run time by setting the "Maximum processor state" to 99%.  This seems to basically disable Intel TurboBoost, which in turn seems to delay the fan start.  For some short-ish tasks this means that the fan does not get a chance to start since the task runs in lower CPU state (perhaps a bit longer than with TurboBoost, but not long enough to start the fan).  This suggests that the interaction between TurboBoost and fan control is far from optimal.

Best regards,

Karol

Tariq3Khan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,755
Message 25 of 46

I am also having this problem - I've done every update and it's still an issue on my X1 Yoga 16GB 1TB NVME.

Tariq3Khan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,709
Message 26 of 46

So my 3k+ laptop is sounding like a KIA.  Lenovo, I expect better from a ThinkPad. I'm one of those Infrastructure Architects that you want to keep happy. What are we doing because my fan is cycling up and down as I work every single two seconds. This laptop will leave me at the side of the road - I can feel it in the air tonight. I do have a X1 Carbon 1st GEN, that still works and NEVER had this problem....

Buck up dude

urbachd
What's DOS?
Views: 2,115
Message 27 of 46

I encountered the same issue on Windows 10 - found out that the maximal processor frequency was set to unlimited (0) !

So I went under 

- Windows System

- Control Panel

- Power Options

and for each plan, then 

- Change plan settings

- Change Advanced power settings

- Processor Power Management

- Maximum Processor Frequency

And I set it to the "nominal" frequency (e.g. 2600 MHz for my 2.6 GHz i7) or less.

Maybe there is an easier way - but it seems to work (so far).

Tariq3Khan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,104
Message 28 of 46

Thanks for the tip. I will try - but this sounds like it would introduce performance issues. Have you seen that?

urbachd
What's DOS?
Views: 2,096
Message 29 of 46

Well,

1) I am an executive, so the biggest tasks I run are a couple of big excel files and ppts open at the same time - not really the thing that eats processor capacity

2) I prefer a slightly lower performance and longer life than a processor that is burnt because of running above its maximum speed.

Lenovo might want to offer a patch ensuring that processors do not run above their design frequency (at least in a standard configuration).

tdroz
Serial Port
Views: 1,880
Message 30 of 46

I followed another posting suggestions on my new X1 Yoga gen 2, and changed the maximum processor state on "Plugged in" from 100% to 99%.  This now keeps my fan from running constantly when plugged in (fingers crossed).  I did this:

1. Right-click on battery icon
  2. Left-click on "Power options"
  3. Left-click on "Change plan settings"
  4. Left-click on "Change advanced power settings"
  5. Scroll down to "Processor power management"
  6. Expand "Processor power management" by selecting the "+"
  7. Expand "Maximum processor state"
  8. Change value for "Plugged in" from "100%" to "99%"
  9. Select "OK"

So far my laptop's quiet...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals