Message 31 of 46

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga Fan Constantly Running

trying it now.. will report back

sidgonzo
Not applicable
Views: 1,578
Message 32 of 46

I just purchased a X1 Yoga 2nd Gen and I'm having lots of fan noise. It will crank up with just one web browser open. I'm all updated with the BIOS etc. Does anyone have a fix? I'd hate to return the machine, but this level of fan does not seem right. 

ThinkBox
Not applicable
Views: 1,576
Message 33 of 46

hi... just try it with TPfanControl google for the latest version..or

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tp4xfancontrol/files/latest/download

best regards...

sidgonzo
Not applicable
Views: 1,537
Message 34 of 46

Reply to my own earlier message - My fan issue got fixed when I went through the process of installing all the latest Windows 10 updated. Not all of this happened automatically - I had to keep going back into the Windows Update and scan/start again. This included multiple restarts and a few failed updates from Microsoft. Eventually when all was finished and all the Lenovo updates (required and recommended) complete, the X1 Yoga works without the fan running almost all the time. I was able to set the power management to default settings again. 

ThinkBox
Not applicable
Views: 1,528
Message 35 of 46

thumbs-up-192.png

joe_e_e
Not applicable
Views: 1,512
Message 36 of 46

I have all the latest Lenovo Updates and Windows 10 updates.  I have also reset power management to defaults, but absolutely no improvement.  The fan is running constantly even if most of the time at low RPM.  This is really disappointing. 

ThinkBox
Not applicable
Views: 1,505
Message 37 of 46

the best way will be ...make a  windows clean install..then all lenovo drivers with the lenovo system update software...and then...windows updates ..

sidgonzo
Not applicable
Views: 1,496
Message 38 of 46

I followed ThinkBox's order - Clean (out of the box) Windows... then Lenovo updates via Companion app - including supplemental/not required options... then pushed through the many Windows Updates in System/Updates... the last step took most of the day and many failed installations. Before this, I did change the power settings (see earlier in the thread) and this helps.

ThinkBox
Not applicable
Views: 1,491
Message 39 of 46

thumbs-up-192.png

joe_e_e
Not applicable
Views: 1,460
Message 40 of 46

Clean installation or not using the default power management settings gives a slightly better response behaviour.  But it entails the CPU boosting up the frequency occasionally, which seems to be a problem for Lenovo's fan control system.  The Lenovo fan control is too aggressive in speeding up the fan instead of waiting a little bit while the CPU is boosting.

But I have another interesting observation to report.  I work in two places: in one place I connect to the OneLink+ dock, and in the other place just to power/ethernet/displayPort.  Doing basically the same work, the CPU temperature is higher when connected via the OneLink+.  This in turn leads to more fan noise when connected to OneLink+.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors