Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 5,017
Message 11 of 46

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga Fan Constantly Running

Open power manager program then click on advanced button so profile tab appears click on that and select which profile you wanna use then you will get tabs to right expand first one and you will see Battery, Ac adapter thats where it will have CPU mode as Turbo change it to Balanced and change performance to Balanced as well then click on apply/save button and you should notice the fan should start to slow down and hopefully it will go 0rpm as idle other wise fan will be on but alot slower and quieter.

deanan
What's DOS?
Views: 4,607
Message 12 of 46

In same boat.  Running Windows 10, so no way to disable turbo boost that I know of.  Did you ever get any answer here?

deanan
What's DOS?
Views: 4,604
Message 13 of 46

Same here. Did you ever get a fix for this?
David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 4,585
Message 14 of 46

You have some control over the power settings in Windows 10 using the 'Advanced Power Settings'. This can be accessed using Settings -> System -> Power & sleep -> Advanced Power Settings. Click 'Change plan settings' against the plan you are using, then 'Change advanced power settings'. Open 'Processor power management' in the tree.

You probably want to set 'Minimum processor state' to 5%, so that the processor can go to a low power state when possible, allowing it to cool. 'System cooling policy' allows you to prioritise processor speed ('Active') or low fan speed ('Passive'). 'Maximum processor state' should probably be set to 100% - if not, you cannot take advantage of the full processor speed available on your hardware.

For what it's worth, I don't find minimum speed 5%, cooling policy Active and maximum speed 100% to result in objectionable fan noise from my X1 Yoga (i7-6600U, 16GB RAM) running Windows 10 Version 1607 (Anniversary Update) with the latest 1.17 BIOS.

Lamata
What's DOS?
Views: 4,460
Message 15 of 46

Search for Thinkpad Fan Controller application on sourceforge. This application regulates fan speed according to CPU temperature. There are some additional configurations possible, but I simply use it with defualt settings.

freedsap
Paper Tape
Views: 4,230
Message 16 of 46

Same for me with a X1 carbon worth € 2000. they changed the mother board today and although it seemed to be less bad it has not changed anything.

fan constantly on and very noisy although computer is at idle stage, even occurs when the screens switches off!

Bios update did not do anything.

this is absolutely not acceptable on a thinkpad of that price.

My X220 tablet as never had such an issue.

Still no answer from lenovo?

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 4,216
Message 17 of 46

I do not understand that....

On my 20FQ0044 i7 6600u .....under Win 10 Pro

(by the way,,,,X1 Carbon 4. gen. ...has the same mainboards...as far as I know....)

and  the 24/7 operation for over 3 months.....

And I run 4 Virtual machines under VmWare Worstation 12 Pro  ...

Windows Server 2016 Datacenter

SQLServer 2016

Kali Linux

and Parrot OS

simultaneously.....

Test environment sometimes for hours.....under full load...

The temperature never rises above 78 ° C  ......over mounts ....24/7 operation...

And the fan run normaly without any Software like Tpfan control etc.. ... and it's never too noisy etc ..

And I do not live at the North Pole.....I am in a normal office environment with a normal room temperature....

best regards,,,,

mgarrana
What's DOS?
Views: 3,990
Message 18 of 46

i do have the same problem , looking for a FIX from lenovo 

joe_e_e
Punch Card
Views: 3,956
Message 19 of 46

I had a 1st gen ThinkPad Yoga on my desk folded as a "paper"-notebook and connected to a dock for three years, and the fan almost never started spinning under my normal work-load.  It was totally silent for most of the time.  Now, I have a brand new X1 Yoga (BIOS 1.21) in the very same setup, and the fan is on all the time.  This is really annoying.  Is there any way to modify this fan behaviour, or do I have a faulty unit?

Best regards,

Karol

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,951
Message 20 of 46

joe_e_e,

Have you used Task Manager to see a particular process is using a lot of CPU and causing the fan spin?

My X1Y did that at first - while Windows sorted itself and dealt with updates - but now when just surfing or editing text the fan is idle.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors