cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CDPROG_RED
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,322
Message 1 of 27

Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 3 Biometric sesnsor (fingerprint reader) missing from device manager

Hey guys and gals,

The sensor had been hit or miss from day one, when it worked it would sometimes take 3 presses before registering correctly. I've been using these kinds of sensors for years on my phones so I was suprised at how much effort it took to get it to work. It often wasn't avaliable to me when the laptop came out of sleep mode, or if the screen had been locked. 

One day last month it stopped working completely. It isn't being detected at all in the device manager, unless it's under a differnt name now. I tried restoring from factory and seeing if I could get it back. After running all the Windows, driver, and firmware updates, it's still not present in the device manager. I went in the BIOS and checked to see that the fingerprint sensor was enabled. It was, and then I tried to delete any fingerprint data, but there wasn't any.

So I'm wondering, has anyone else has had a similar issue and if there's a way I can fix this without having to RMA my otherwise kickass laptop? 

Maybe the senseor is loose? Should I open her up and make sure everything's tight? I haven't unbuckled any of her fasteners yet, but if it could save me a month of being computerless while she's in the shop, I'll gladly try it. Smiley Happy 

Cheers

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,312
Message 2 of 27

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 3 Biometric sesnsor (fingerprint reader) missing from device manager

Mine always works.  I haven't seen this issue.  Look in the event viewer and see if there is a message

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JiggedBone
Punch Card
Views: 1,310
Message 3 of 27

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 3 Biometric sesnsor (fingerprint reader) missing from device manager

CDPROG_RED,

I had a similar issue, my machine was telling me Windows Hello was not available on my device. Of course it was, or should have been. What I ended up having to do is uninstall/reinstall Windows 10 and everything since has been good.
CDPROG_RED
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,308
Message 4 of 27

Nothing helpful in the event viewer, but thanks for the input.
CDPROG_RED
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,306
Message 5 of 27

Maybe I'll try rebuilding it again, but I really think it would have fixed it the first time I did it. Any suggestions as to which build I should use?

also, here's a screen of the device manager.

Capture.PNG

CDPROG_RED
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,280
Message 6 of 27

Ok, I reinstalled it another time from recovery. Am on build 17234.286. Still no biometric devices in Device Manager, and it still says that Windows Hello isn't avaliable on this device. 

CDPROG_RED
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,277
Message 7 of 27

I also installed this driver, but it didn't work:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/fi/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

It still gives me this odd error... Please connect fingerprint sensor.Capture.PNG

JiggedBone
Punch Card
Views: 1,241
Message 8 of 27

CDPROG_RED,

Create this folder on your desktop using this entry in the file name: {ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Name the folder any name you like, just be sure to enter the sequence just as it is shown above.  This folder will give you basically every available option available in Windows 10.  When you get the folder made, look under 'Security and Maintenance'.  This gives you all your trouble shooting links in Windows along with the listings of all archived messages and possible problems that could be causing your issue(s)

Hope this gets you going Smiley Wink

CDPROG_RED
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,204
Message 9 of 27

Thanks JiggedBone, unforunately this didn't provide me with any aditional insights. 

I'm going to call support today and see what they can come up with. I'm suprised I seem to be the only one with this isusse.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,196
Message 10 of 27

If the device is missing from Device Manager, reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS setup.  Then:

1.  go to Security -> I/O Port Access and make sure Fingerprint Reader is enabled there

2. go to Security -> Fingerprint and choose the option about "Reset Fingerprint Data".  What happens?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors