Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeyjiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,584
Message 1 of 36

Thinkpad X1 Yoga, Pain of OLED color settings and terrible tech support

I got my X1 yoga with OLED almost one month ago. Under Lenovo Built-in App, Lenovo settings, there is a color settings to adjust for viewing needs and eyesight protection.

I like the option of Blue Light Cut for Office, which adjusts the blue light output. However, from just now the color settings didn't work anymore. Whatever option I chose, the screen color keeps the same. I called Lenovo tech support, and they escalated me from basic support to premium support. Then they surprised me by stating that I need to pay $199 for this one-time service. I argued that 1) I am under warranty coverage and 2) Lenovo settings are one of Lenovo products, not a third party software. I am not asking a software from other companies. But they still insisted that warranty only covers hardware issues. 

Alright, this is Lenovo, which claims to provide high-quality service to their clients. Now I have to fix the problem myself. I created another Windows user, but no luck with the color settings.

Does anyone have idea how to fix the issue? Many thanks.  

Former Employee
Views: 4,462
Message 2 of 36

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga, Pain of OLED color settings and terrible tech support

Joeyjiao,

I am sorry to hear of your experiences first with Lenovo Settings impacting the color profile, and then with Service.

As a solution, Think Engineering would like to suggest reinstalling the ThinkPad Settings Dependency Package. There is a known issue where Intel Display Drivers, delivered automatically via Windows 10, override the color setting profiles. It was resolved in an earlier version of ThinkPad Settings Dependency.

Summary of Changes

<3.0.1.30>

- (Fix) Fixed an issue where color banding can occur at displayed image when some

color settings are selected in Lenovo Settings.

- (Fix) Fixed an issue where displayed image can look yellowish.

The latest version of ThinkPad Settings Dependency Package, 3.0.1.32 released 7/11/16, can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds104935

Thank you,

joeyjiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,457
Message 3 of 36

Many thanks for your help. Actually, I had figured it out myself before your reply. However, it brought up a new problem after I reinstalled the dependency package. The color settings are back to work, but it is unstable. I use Google Chrome as my default browser. When the cursor is hovering over clickable links, the screen color turns back to native mode. But as soon as the cursor moves off from those links, the color is back to the selected mode. So you can imagine how often my screen changes its color when I am using Google Chrome.  

Former Employee
Views: 4,454
Message 4 of 36

Joeyjiao,

I provided your response to Think Engineering to see if they can determine why this is occuring and how best to resolve it.

Thank you,

Former Employee
Views: 4,310
Message 5 of 36

Joeyjiao,

Think Engineering has duplicated the color mode instability in Chrome and has requested an updated driver from Intel.

I’ll post again when I have more information.

Thank you,

joeyjiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,300
Message 6 of 36

Sounds great, Amy. 

BTW, I later found not only Google Chrome, but Microsoft Outlook has the same issue with current color settings. FYI.

Best,

Joey

joeyjiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,196
Message 7 of 36

Hello Amy,

Still no luck with this issue? It's annoying actually. Given it's a $2,000 laptop, I really feel disappointed. 

kenshiro
Punch Card
Views: 4,032
Message 8 of 36

I was tearing my hair out before I realized this was a KI.

Any chance of getting this fixed? This effect is awful, and leaving the color setting at Native prevents the issue, but makes the reds far too saturated.

joeyjiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,003
Message 9 of 36

It seems no one cares about us, and OLED doesn't represent their leading technology. Ironically, Lenovo Thinkpad claims themselves a company that provides the best customer service experience. I didn't believe that, but now I have to accept - The quality of IBM Thinkpad is nothing to do with that of Lenovo Thinkpad.    

I strongly urge the administrator to remove "Solved" from the title of the thread. And I would never recommend Thinkpad product to my peers.   

anthon_a
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,891
Message 10 of 36

Any Updates on this.

I am experincing the same issues the screen "blues" keep flashing whenever i press something in office.

I set the screen to native, and it does not do it all the time anymore, but its very annoying.

I didnt have this problem a  few days ago. there must be an update that caused it Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors