Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aliastdp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,160
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad X1 Yoga disabling the capacitive windows button

The on-bezel windows button is extremely sensitive. So much so that I often activate it accidentally while using the laptop in tablet mode or writing. Is there any way to temporarily disable the button, at least while I'm using the laptop in tablet mode?

tfandango
Punch Card
Views: 1,134
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga disabling the capacitive windows button

There is not a way to do this that I know of. Sorry!
mgiretz
What's DOS?
Views: 994
Message 3 of 6

My capacitive Windows Button isn't working at all. Is there a way to enable it?

Thank you!

aliastdp
Paper Tape
Views: 990
Message 4 of 6

Not that I know of. If there isn't a way for me to disable it, I don't think there would be a method to enable it. You may have a hardware defect.

Aaroneus
Punch Card
Views: 949
Message 5 of 6

I also want to disable the windows button, but in my case I prefer it to be permanent.  I think it may be one of the causes of the X1 Yoga waking itself up while in my backpack.  It is not registered as a wake-enabled device, but it certainly does wake up the device when I press it. 

Shouldn't there be a line item in the device manager for it?

Aaroneus
Punch Card
Views: 912
Message 6 of 6

I have a partial fix for you.  I used a free program called KeyTweak to reassign some keys on the keyboard that Lenovo put in weird/stupid locations.  I just used that same application to identify that (at least on the X1 Yoga) the capacitive Windows key is the same keyboard operation as the left Windows key.  I simply disabled the left Windows key using KeyTweak, and now that capacitive Windows key does nothing while the computer is awake.

This does not actually disable the key at a hardware level, it just maps its functionality to a null value, so in my case the capacitive Windows key still wakes the computer.  This also isn't really a temporary solution as you requested; however, there is a more sophisticated key mapping program called AutoHotKey that probably supports the capability of turning that capacitive button on and off based on some key combination you press or perhaps even in response to detecting the pen or flipping backward.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors