Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenG
Paper Tape
Views: 2,560
Message 1 of 15

Thinkpad X1 Yoga hangs on boot: unable to type power-on password unless reset

Hi,

I received my new ThinkPad X1 Yoga 20FQ one month ago. I'm very happy with it but for one week I'm very often unable to type the power-on password.

When I turn on my X1 Yoga (3 times out of 4), the keyboard seems to be not working and I'm stuck at the padlock password prompt. I must insert a paperclip into the reset hole and restart to be able to get the keyboard working and be able to enter the password. 

I'm wondering if anyone else have any similar issue and if so, if there is a simple way to fix it? or if I should return the X1 YogaSmiley Frustrated

Thanks for your help,

Steven

jrosey007
Paper Tape
Views: 2,508
Message 2 of 15

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga hangs on boot: unable to type power-on password unless reset

I am having the same problem.  Using PIN with Bitlocker and unable to type password.  Either need to plug in keyboard or use paperclip as you described.  No known fix at this time.

ekingxxx700
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,481
Message 3 of 15

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga hangs on boot: unable to type power-on password unless reset

Interesting feedback guys. I want to get the x1 yoga, but want to wait for the wigi and Oled model which seems to keep getting delayed... i wonder why.

regarding your keyboard issue. Looks like lappy still think you are running in tablet mode hence the keyboard is disabled. Since resetting the lappy fixes this issue, it looks more like a software issue than hardware.

Few things I would try:

• try and work out when does this happen. Like you the lappy goes to sleep or hibernate and then when you resume, the keyboard doesn't work.  Side note, I hate sleep, suspend and hibernate mode. They are are the worst things you can do to your computers.
  • when you experience this issue again. flip the lappy into tablet mode for about aminutee or so and then flip it back and see if the keyboard kicks in.
  • finally, use Lenovo System software update to run a full software update.

Eager to see what your finds are.

Just out of curiosity do you have OLED or Wigig?

jrosey007
Paper Tape
Views: 2,475
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for the reply.  So here's the interesting part which seems to make me think this is a firmware problem.

First, all updates have been applied and I am on the March firmware update.

Second, when the computer boots... I am not able to use any button... meaning, when the screen says press ENTER to interrupt normal boot or F12 to go to boot screen ... Nothing.  Button's at that time are not functional.

I can power down the system (holding down power) and when the device comes back up, still unresponsive.  

But - I know the keyboard is functional because the caps lock key will still toggle the light.  

It's possible that most people don't notice this problem because as the OS comes up, whatever is locked becomes unlocked due to drivers being initialized from the OS.  Most people don't have a bootloader with PIN like BitLocker implemented.  Not sure as I can't troubleshoot past general OS screen.

Also, no WiGig.  Not sure on OLED question - current display purchased is: 14" WQHD+ (2560 x 1440) Touch Screen (270 nit)

Hope this provides more input.  Let me know if further questions.

Thanks,

Jeff

ekingxxx700
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,464
Message 5 of 15

Thanks mate

You have to be very quick to get the bios buttons.  As soon as you hit the power button,  start smashing F11.. Even before there is any display.  This will take you to diagnostic page.  From here you can run a few tests or go to bios and do a reset. 

Also test if external keyboard works at bios. 

BTW did you call lenovo support? 

jrosey007
Paper Tape
Views: 2,460
Message 6 of 15

No on Lenovo support.  Haven't had time.  F11 doesn't work either.  You can hold down those buttons too and they should work.  No go.  The keyboard is seriously non-functional.  Works fine the minute you put in a paperclip.

Schadowski
Paper Tape
Views: 2,400
Message 7 of 15

Hi

same to me,

New X1 carbon Yoga, using bitlocker on W10.

When starting energy save mode, and reactivate - no keyboard function at all. even hardreset does not work. i need an external keyboard to enter bios / hdd password, then it starts and i can work on with internal keyboard.

actually this only seems to block when i entered a pin instead of the password during the last logon (before activating he energy save mode). When i use the passowrd instead of the pin i can reactivate the x1 during reboot by using the internal keyboard.

@Lenovo: Please fix it.

any hints?

best regards, Ralf

jrosey007
Paper Tape
Views: 2,377
Message 8 of 15

Update:  My TPM chip died.  Lenovo is replacing the motherboard.  Not sure if these are related... but interesting nonetheless.  I will keep you updated once the motherboard is fully replaced to see if I have the same problems.

Thanks.

Schadowski
Paper Tape
Views: 2,374
Message 9 of 15

how can a tpm chip die ?

By what did you notice that?

Schadowski
Paper Tape
Views: 2,257
Message 10 of 15

Update

i used only power save and reboot and password (no pin) to logon.

yesterday i shutwodn the system, this morning keyboard is again out of function :-(

only external keyboad (logitech with unify receiver) is accepted so i can start to work.

@LENOVO: Pls fix!

Best Regards, Ralf

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors