Options

2 Posts

04-17-2018

US

4 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad X1 Yoga won't turn on after one and a half year! repair is costing $900!!

2018-04-17, 2:55 AM

Unfortunately, I got home last night, and it wouldn't turn on.  Fine; I figured that maybe the battery was dead.  Plugged it in, and still no joy, but hey, I figured maybe it wouldn't start until it hit a certain minimum charge level (a la many smartphones).  So I left it charging overnight, packed it when I went to work this morning, got here, and... it still won't start.

Indicators/symptoms:

The only I/O that appears to be working is the charge indicator (the small circular light next to the power button) and the power button light.

If I plug in the power, the small circular light stays on (white) until I unplug it.

Plugging in the power also sometimes causes the power light to turn on (again, white), and it will stay on (regardless of whether it's plugged in) until I force power-off via holding the power button.

Nothing else works/responds.  The fans do not turn on, the caps lock light does not light up, the keyboard backlight can not be turned on.  Nothing.  As far as I can tell, the computer isn't even on -- only the power light.  I have tried every hotkey (and other key) on the keyboard. Disconnecting the battery didn't help either. Waited one hour on the line to talk with someone in Lenovo but after being transfered 3 times and each person asking exactly the same questions I gave up! very poor customer service! 

Brought it to Lenovo certified repair center and they chose the simplest solution of replacing the motherboard and they quoted $900 for replacing the motherboard!!! Are you kidding me?! so the rest of the laptop only costing $200? I will never risk again to pay this much for a Lenovo laptop that will barely last one and a half year! 

When it is off, pressing/holding the power button will not turning it on -- only plugging in (or unplugging and replugging in) the power cable will cause the power button to turn back on.

Options

11220 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39674 Signins

414693 Page Views

• Views: 414693
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga won't turn on after one and a half year! repair is costing $900!!

2018-04-17, 4:09 AM

If you posted here first, here is what I would have suggested.  

1   remove bottom cover

2    disconnect main battery

3  disconnect coin-cell (CMOS) battery

4  Press power button a few times to drain capacitors

Put it back together, and try again.

I hope the guy you took it to tries that first.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

1 Posts

06-11-2018

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: Thinkpad X1 Yoga won't turn on after one and a half year! repair is costing $900!!

2018-06-11, 22:10 PM
I had the exact same problem with my X1 Yoga, also 1.5 years old. I didn't read this first, but should have. The service place I went to did exactly what you suggested and it booted back up. They charged $45 for their time to figure that out (their min charge) - a lot cheaper than $900! If it ever happens again, I know what I'll try first.
Options

8277 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77240 Signins

2189329 Page Views

• Views: 2189329
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-09-14, 7:31 AM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete