Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paola_PM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,673
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad X1 carbon mobile broadband upgradable: it does not detect SIM card

I inserted my SIM card (perfectly working) into the slot of my X1 carbon (mobile broadband upgradable).

The SIM is not detected.

What should I do exactloy? Am I missing any driver or else?

Thank you.

dtscaps
Token Ring
Views: 1,665
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad X1 carbon mobile broadband upgradable: it does not detect SIM card

Most likely you're missing the internal broadband card. This can be purchased from Lenovo as an option.

morganae
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,656
Message 3 of 5

Honestly I suggest either using your phone as a hotspot or getting a MIFI from your provider.  Otherwise you're paying for an outdated feature.  The laptop will connect via WIFI if your phone or MIFI (jetpack is another name for one such device) that way you don't need the part and you don't have to pay for a data plan.

All the functionality without paying the price for new hardware etc.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,652
Message 4 of 5

paola_lenovo,

what's MTM of your laptop? "Mobile broadband upgradable" means laptop has built-in wwan antennas and sim reader, but not wwan card itself.

morganae,

usually laptop wwan card with internal wwan antennas has much higher sensitivity and communication quality phones and smartphones can't achieve. Laptop with built-in broadband card has absolut mobility. At last, LTE card em7345 (x1 can be equipped with) supports 12 frequecy bands for LTE networks and 5 bands for UMTS networks, for most of mobile operators worldwide, US including (not all, of course). Do you know such smartphone?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

morganae
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,644
Message 5 of 5

Actually I can do you one better. 

Nexus 6 XT1103 adds in tri-band CDMA2000 (with EvDO) and LTE bands 2, 4, 12 (US Lower 700MHz A-C blocks), 13 (US Upper 700MHz C block), 17 (US Lower 700MHz B-C blocks), 25 (PCS A-G blocks 1.9GHz), 26 (ESMR+Cellular 850MHz), and 29 (US Lower 700MHz Supplemental Downlink).

Below is a link to the review I got the above from.

Always cite your sources

Anyhow, It's not a debate about the virtue of GOBI cards vs Smart Phones I was after.  They both have their merits and flaws.  My point was that you could choose the GOBI card (The WWAN card) the will require the purchase of the card and a data plan for said card and all you get is a data connection.  Or you could go with a MIFI (External GOBI card) that offers the exact same coverage with the benefit of "absolute mobility" that the WWAN card does not offer.

Case in point.  I have users that use both setups (well three setups but let's not be picky)

The ones with the WWAN card have problems with the application locking up, windows saying the device is in use when it should not be and they have to reboot to resolve most issues.  They are also stuck to their laptop and whatever reception it can get, this is a BIG problem.

The WWAN card is a cell phone that doesn't make calls.  That's all it is.  It's not much bigger than 2 US quaters side by side in length and width.  There are 2-3 wires that use a press-on connection that eventually run up to the monitor to the antennae that sit at the top of the screen.  The problem is that you need to move your laptop to a spot that it can see the cellular signal.

If you work in an industry where you tend to be surrounded by metal or even just in an office building, this is a big issue.  The signals are usually weak or non-existant until you either leave the area or at least find a window.  

An example of this is a sales person standing in a walk-in freezer with their laptop as they take down everything a restaurant needs.  They can't usually get a signal in this case, their surrounded my metal, wires and other such hazards.

With a MIFI or a smart phone (I suggest a MIFI) you can place the device outside the freezer and as long as the door is open, the WIFI signal will reach the laptop and the MIFI can get the cellular signal.  In short, everyone is happy.

In the office situation, getting a signal can be very hard due to the concrete, steel, wires and other signals that can cause a degredation of your connection.  With a MIFI or Smart Phone (Again, choose the MIFI) you can place it nearer to the window and it will find the cellular signal while your laptop connects to it via the WIFI. 

This actually allows you to be far more mobile than the "absolute mobility" of a WWAN card.

The major downsides to the MIFI are:

1) You can lose it / have it stolen.  (BIG downside)

2) You can drop it (you can drop a laptop too)

3) You have to charge it

4) You can forget to bring it 

The major downsides of a Smart Phone are:

1) You can loose it.

2) It can get stolen (listed seperately because it REALLY sucks to have a phone stolen)

3) You have to charge it

4) You can't hear calls if it's down the hallway.

5) You can forget to bring it

The major downsides of a WWAN card (aka GOBI, aka Air Card)  are:

1) Application/software issues

2) OS and Driver issues

3) Spendy

4) Laptop has to be in a location it can see a cellular signal

5) Upgrades are less often (New cell phones and MIFI come out all the time, air cards not to much)

6) Pay for installation

7) Risk of damage to the laptop or WWAN card if installed improperly (I've seen a screw driver scratch the card and ruin it)

8) On a Lenovo it's not a CRU so you may void your warranty installing it yourself.

9) Manually connect (open the app, click connect, click disconnect etc... some people don't like that)

10) Only one device can use it.

Like I said, they all have their upside as well.

The upsides to a WWAN Card are:

1) Hard to lose

2) easy to install 

3) no external devices needed

4) Secure if setup properly

The upside to a MIFI are:

1) Cheap

2) Expanded mobility (It need not be in the same location as the laptop, leave it in your bag or near a window, etc)

3) Multiple devices can connect (MIFI are a mobile hot-spot)

4) Secure if setup properly

5) Some models allow you to charge other devices from it.

6) They're as fast if not faster than a WWAN card

7) You can use it's data plan instead of the Smart Phones by using it via WIFI

8) Some models are GPS capable

The upside to a Smart Phone are:

1) You probably have one already

2) You probably already have a data plan

3) They're as fast if not faster than a WWAN card

4) Multiple devices can connect (MIFI are a mobile hot-spot)

5) Expanded mobility (It need not be in the same location as the laptop, leave it in your bag or near a window, etc)

6) Secure if setup properly

7) You can use it for more than data

8) Many phones allow you to find it if lost

9) All the other cool stuff a phone does

So to make a very long post and story short... shorter.  The WWAN Card is OK, but you can do better for less.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors