cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gjel
Punch Card
Views: 1,759
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad X1 dont support SSD at WWAN-slot???

Hello!

I just buy X1Y without WWAN-modem, because I don't really need it for now, and try to use empty WWAN M.2 slot for SSD like I did with all my previous Thinkpad's - so I install Transcend TS256GMTS400 that perfectly works at my previous Thinkpad Yoga 12... but SSD does not apper at BIOS! Smiley Sad

At "BIOS - Boot priority" there are some empty device named "NVMe0" - because of absent of external NVMe ports and present of Samsung SSD as different device at M.2 2280 slot, its possible can be support for NVMe-PCIE SSD at that WWAN-slot... but I can not find any SSD M.2 2242 NVMe at all world... Smiley Sad

Also I dont find any WWAN-antennas near WWAN-slot. Also because of gluided Yoga touch screens its unpossible to install WWAN-antennas by user without waranty lose. So it seems that X1Yoga's that sell's without WWAN-modems does not support WWAN-modems at all! Smiley Sad

So after all those problems it seems that at all configurations of Thinkpad X1 without WWAN-modem this WWAN-slot is absolutely useless!!!

PS Also X1 have flimsy soiled case, loud keybord and a specially very loud touchpad buttons and trackpad buttons! Smiley Sad

Does Thinkpad X1 with such problems are really premium device?!?!?! Smiley Sad

Any suggestions for WWAN-SSD?!

kanthai
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,722
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad X1 dont support SSD at WWAN-slot???

Hi Gjel,

I have X1 Yoga OLED without WWAN option (cannot be configured in the US), but I can confirm that I can install both WWAN card and antenna by myself. It worked perfectly fine for me. The OLED panel is not glued to the lid, it is held together by several clips that you can pry open easily. If you want more infomation regarding WWAN on X1 Yoga, I wrote about my experience in another thread Here

Hope this help,

Kan

Gjel
Punch Card
Views: 1,704
Message 3 of 5

Hi, kanthai!

Big thanks for your information!
But I a little beware of warranty lose after display disassemble...

And for now I more interested at second SSD.

Maybe some one know what at BIOS "device NVMe0" means? Is it possibility for 2280 slot to work as PCIE-SSD? Or its for 2242-WWAN slot???

TripleX1
Token Ring
Views: 1,681
Message 4 of 5

The WWAN slot (M.2/NGFF) is usually wired for USB as most WWAN cards are USB and maybe for PCIe.

A SATA SSD likely won't work as why would they wire it for SATA as well?

The Disk slot is (now) wired for PCIe and SATA. As SSDs are either SATA or PCIe right?

There will surely be PCIe SSDs in 40mm to fit in WWAN slot at some point (assuming the slot is PCIe wired and not just USB).

Gjel
Punch Card
Views: 1,669
Message 5 of 5

All this is obvious.
I want to know:
1) How its possible to test WWAN-slot - does it have SATA/PCIE support or only USB for modems??
2) What is the device in BIOS named "NVMe0"? Is it for 2280-disk-slot or for 2242-wwan-slot???

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors