Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hoeppemann
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,346
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad X1G6 randomly freezing

My Thinkpad X1G6 works flawlessly most of the time. But sometimes it will suddenly start freezing every few seconds for like 1-15 secs. Sound keeps running in the background, I can also change sound volume, mute or the screen brightness with the function keys even though Windows wont show this correctly because the picture is frozen. Whats strange is, when i move the mouse or trackpoint around in the time frame of a freeze, and keep moving it around, the freeze will last till I stop the movement.(tried this up to 1 minute) After I resume the computer from sleep or restart it, it will work again. So I assume it could be some kind of software issue.

What I tried so far:

- lenovos hardware analysis -> everything seems to work fine

- reinstalled and updated all drivers -> didn't help

- complete fresh install of windows (without lenovos software) -> problem still returns

Does someone has an idea what could cause this? Thanks in advance!

CI-Neil
Paper Tape
Views: 1,313
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad X1G6 randomly freezing

Hoeppemann
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,286
Message 3 of 6

yes, this sounds a bit like the same problem, but in my case the whole computer does not respond to anything (expect of hardware functions like mute, screen brightness etc.). Im on the latest bios (1.13).

I will try running linux to see if I have the same problems there aswell.

Hoeppemann
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,275
Message 4 of 6

I just realised something:

- I can still select things with the mouse when the lag occurs, only the screen / picture is frozen. So I can play / pause youtube videos when I blindly hit the right spot on the screen.

- I have the strange feeling that using Chrome might cause this issues. ( I was using chrome while answering to this post when this lags occured again so I closed Chrome and switched to Firefox -> no more lag. As soon as changed back to Chrome -> random freezing / lags started again. (but maybe this was just some unlucky timing))

@Hoeppemann
smikes19
Paper Tape
Views: 1,161
Message 5 of 6

I am experiencing the same thing.  Random 1-5 second periods where user input is ignored; freezing.

It's still quite early, and I'm still confirming this;  But ever since I disabled Turbo Boost, I -think- the problem has gone away.

If that's the culprit, then it seems like Turbo Boost is causing some thermal throttling.

BTW I have the i7-8650U CPU with 16GB RAM.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 693
Message 6 of 6

I own a x270 and i experiencing the same thing.
Sad...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors