San Jose, CA

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad X201: After Windows reinstall, network controller doesn't work

2015-05-03, 22:38 PM

Hi,

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Profressional 64-bit on my 2010 Thinkpad X201. I've used Windows Update and Lenovo System Update to download/install all critical/optional/recommended updates. Still, my computer is not recognizing wireless networks (I'm currently hardwired via ethernet cable). Wondering if it has anything to do with the Network Controller. In device manager, it has a yellow exclamation mark. I've tried right-clicking and updating driver, with no success. Then got the idea to uninstall it.

I'm having a tough time finding a network controller driver online. When I search for it, I see a bunch of 3rd party driver tools that scan and update drivers on your system. Surely there's a better/safer way to get this one Network Controller fixed?

Thanks so much for any help.

Options

3017 Posts

03-15-2014

Bangalore

1126 Signins

57257 Page Views

• Views: 57257
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad X201: After Windows reinstall, network controller doesn't work

2015-05-07, 12:10 PM

Hi Brunomater,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

Please provide me the MTM (Machine Type Model) of the system which will be at the bottom of the laptop. Do not provide the system serial number in the forum, we require only the MTM number. So that I can provide the exact driver for your model.

Best regards,

Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

2 Posts

05-03-2015

San Jose, CA

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

2015-05-07, 13:45 PM
Thanks Hemanth. I purchased 3rd party software (Driver Detective). It
acknowledged the defective network controller, but couldn't fix it. A
support file led me to Intel, stating that I would need to update my Intel
PROSet/Wireless software in order for the network controller to be fixed.
Once I did this, the issue was resolved almost immediately. Here's the
Intel link in case anyone has a similar issue:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19856/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-64-Bit-

Options

3017 Posts

03-15-2014

Bangalore

1126 Signins

57257 Page Views

• Views: 57257
  • Message 4 of 4

2015-05-08, 7:36 AM

Hi Brunomater,

Thank you for the reply!

I am glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. Thanks for the update provided on the issue.

In future please use ThinkVantage system update utility to update the latest drivers, you can download this application from Lenovo support site.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x201/downloads/DS012808 

Please feel free to post in Lenovo Community Forums if you have any further queries!

Cheers!:smileyhappy:

Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save