Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dr_st
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,988
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad X230 - Mini-PCiE not Customer-Serviceable?

Following the discussion in that topic:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Installing-msata-ssd-in-X230-voids-warranty/m-...

I noticed that all the mini-PCIe devices (WLAN, WWAN, mSATA) are listed as non-CRU in the X230 HMM. They were listed as CRUs in the X220 and older HMMs.

The implications are clear - a user can no longer replace/upgrade any of these without losing warranty, nor can he/she request that a replacement module be shipped to him/her under warranty.

From glancing at the manual, I didn't notice any significant changes in the process of installation/replacement of said modules. Is there a technical reason for them being removed from the CRU list? Is it a policy change? An error in the manual?

Would greatly appreciate any clarification.

celli
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,975
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad X230 - Mini-PCiE not Customer-Serviceable?

Ohh thats bad because I installed a mSATA SSD in my X230 because it was allowed in the X220. And the X220 and the X230 are exacty the same in this part.

And the palmrest ist still CRU so in my opinion it makes no sense to forbid this because after removing the palmrest everything is very easy to accesable.

edit:

I also looked in the Manual of the X230 tablet and there the WWAN and WLAN are CRU. And I see mo reason why that should be different on the X230.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,955
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad X230 - Mini-PCiE not Customer-Serviceable?

If you break anything during the upgrade, then it is not covered under warranty, but if you are careful with your upgrade then i don't think it is not something that customer can't do.

i have upgraded my X230's hdd to mSATA and removed the main hdd to save weight.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors