cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
entr
Paper Tape
Views: 12,937
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad X230 'The battery installed is not supported and will not charge' problem

Hi,

I bought a genuine x220/x230 battery. After I power on the laptop, I got a message: the laptop doesn't support this battery. I tried to update the bios but nothing happend. The power manager said the battery voltage, performance, cycles, LGC battery. If I unplugged the laptop, it is works so the laptop can use the battery just not charge. If it was not a genuine battery I can't see these description or I should also?

Maybe this is not compatible with my x230 because it compatible just x220 and the seller didn't know it? 

I attached some photo about the problem. If anyone know anything about it please help me. Thanks.

Link to image 1

Link to image 2

Moderator comment: Image(s) >50KB (or totaling >50KB) converted to link(s). Community Rules.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 12,899
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad X230 'The battery installed is not supported and will not charge' problem

Good day and welcome to the community.

The X230 requires the 44-series batteries, which incorporated some new circuitry with which the x230 interacts. As you've found, the X230 will run from a charged 29-series battery, but will not recharge it. The X220 originally came with series 29-series batteries, but also works with the newer 44-series.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 X1T3 X1T2 Helix1 X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p TPStack Yoga910 Yoga900S
TPYoga12 T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga900 Yoga3Pro Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee

entr
Paper Tape
Views: 12,895
Message 3 of 9

Re: Thinkpad X230 'The battery installed is not supported and will not charge' problem

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Is there any options to solve the problem or I have to buy a 44+ battery?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 12,880
Message 4 of 9

All I can suggest is to obtain the correct 44-series battery. Will your seller exchange it for you?

Sorry I can't offer more.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 X1T3 X1T2 Helix1 X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p TPStack Yoga910 Yoga900S
TPYoga12 T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga900 Yoga3Pro Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee

entr
Paper Tape
Views: 12,849
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for your help. 

ServerFarmer
Paper Tape
Views: 11,497
Message 6 of 9

I am also having this issue on several X230 laptops when using "44++" battery. Although this battery should be supported according to shop.lenovo.com, it always produces this error. I have tried several batteries, laptops, as well as updating the BIOS without success.

This bad "44++" battery works fine in an X220, so I assume this must be a problem with the X230 BIOS software or hardware.

I do not consider having the "seller exchange it" to be a real solution unless the battery is really broken. The current situation is unacceptable, so unless Lenovo Support can come up with a real solution I will need to move to another vendor.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,471
Message 7 of 9

ServerFarmer,

where have you got your batteries from? There is a lot of faked batteries on the market. There is a lot of similar cases here, on the forum, with fakes investigation and proofs. That's not a laptop BIOS issue. Sarbin above explained what exactly causes the behavior.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ServerFarmer
Paper Tape
Views: 11,441
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for your reply. Either a non-backwards compatible charge hardware or BIOS hardware whitelist is partially causing the issue. Unfortunately I can not tell the difference between what we observe and a BIOS whitelist, which we cannot support as we require hardware flexibility. The X230 should behave like the X220 but it does not.

The battery is from Amazon so although it looks legitimate, it could be a fake. We have returned the battery, but will hold off on making a complaint against the seller due to lack of information.

Thank you!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,429
Message 9 of 9

Laptop whitelist, in terms Lenovo and other vendors realise that one, doesn't influence with battery HW protection.

You can provide battery labels photo with quality enough to recognise lettering. If OS is win7, there is additional information for investigation, Power Manager provides. Then we'll look at those materials and decide.

Amazon doesn't warrant against fakes.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors