Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katriel
What's DOS?
Views: 894
Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad X240 doesn't use power from AC adapter + 190 critical battery error

Thinkpad X240 running Win 7 Pro. Has an internal battery and a removable battery.

Our power supply (240v) was a little shaky yesterday and the AC adapter popped a couple times before I unplugged it to give it a rest. The last chance I had to confirm, it was charging the computer correctly. Then the power gave out completely.

Today power is back and my battery is drained. When I plug in the adapter, power light blinks three times, I believe indicating that it is getting power from the adapter. When I try to boot the computer, I get the ThinkPad launch screen, and then I immediately get a 190 Critical Battery Error. I also get the error if I press enter for special options. I get the same behavior if I plug into a 240-120v converter instead of the 240v power outlet.

The tongue test confirms that there is power coming out of the adapter, but I don't have access to a multimeter.

I have tried using the pinhole reset before the 190 error, but the behavior doesn't change. I have also tried this code: http://www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to... but I have not removed the internal battery so the computer begins to boot when I start entering the combination.

I am in a remote location and I prefer to address myself if at all possible.

katriel
What's DOS?
Views: 877
Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad X240 doesn't use power from AC adapter + 190 critical battery error

I found someone else with a recent Lenovo model that used the same charger, and their charger was able to charge the battery. So I suspect this is most likely a fried adapter. Although if there are any ideas, I will welcome them.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors