UK

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad X240's and Sleep mode/Hibernate

2014-02-27, 16:10 PM

Hi,

We're having a problem across 4 Lenovo X240 laptops we're using (3 X 20AL-008EUK's and 1 X 20AL-0081UK) that have been bought at different times (1 in January and 3 in February) 

All are having issues with sleep mode and hibernation. From various tests it seems that all were able to enter and exit sleep mode without issue once, with the red light on the lid pulsing to indicate it was in sleep mode, however when trying for a second time without a reboot the unit would appear to enter sleep mode however the red light on the lid would remain constantly on and opening the lid would just result in a plain black screen with no cursor or image whatsoever.

On a couple of units I noticed that pressing on any keys on the keyboard would emit the windows error sound, and using ctrl alt del and entering the users password would seem to login suggesting that the graphics driver had failed.

I've tried updating the drivers for the graphics adaptors and the BIOS to the latest available from the Lenovo support website as of today (27/02/14) however if anything this has made the issue worse with Windows crashing from a clean boot to a plain black screen with a mouse cursor (unable to invoke the ctrl alt del menu etc.) 3 out of 10 times across all units

Is this an known issue and are there any work arounds available? Obviously besides just not using sleep mode as we've currently rolled the solid state models out to some of management and the HDD one to a road based sales guy and all like to make use of the instant resume features.

Solved! See the solution
Options

6759 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17735 Signins

164068 Page Views

• Views: 164068
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad X240's and Sleep mode/Hibernate

2014-02-27, 17:57 PM

What OS?

I'm aware of 2 intermittent issues with sleep/resume:

1.  On Win7, some older versions of fingerprint software had a problem.  So if your system have fingerprint readers and Win7, make sure you update to the latest version.  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS034486

2.  someone in the T-series forum says the Intel wireless driver 16.8 caused sleep problems for him, and it is fixed in 16.10  (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T440s-doesn-t-wake-up-from-sleep/m-p/1459175#M93358).   So try the latest Intel wifi driver.     http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS036007

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

02-27-2014

United States

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 3 of 10

2014-02-27, 20:29 PM

wrote:

What OS?

I'm aware of 2 intermittent issues with sleep/resume:

1.  On Win7, some older versions of fingerprint software had a problem.  So if your system have fingerprint readers and Win7, make sure you update to the latest version.  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS034486

Fellow Lenovo Members,

Per step # 1 above I went ahead and installed the latest fingerprint software version. After doing this and rebooting my computer all my black screen, sleep/hibernate issues appears to have been resolved.!!!!

Thanks someotherguy!

PotteryPal

[edited to fix formatting]

Options

3 Posts

02-27-2014

UK

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 4 of 10

2014-03-07, 9:00 AM

Uninstalling the fingerprint software did it for me,

Thanks for your help someotherguy

Options

1 Posts

04-26-2014

Michigan

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 5 of 10

2014-04-26, 5:01 AM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!   #1, updating the fingerprint reader, worked PERFECTLY.  Much obliged! 

Jen Weber

Options

1 Posts

09-24-2014

UAE

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 6 of 10

2014-09-24, 13:29 PM
MY X240 - CAN NOT RESUME FROM LONG SLEEP | THE FN LED / F1 LED / F4 LED ARE GLOWING .. BUT THE SCREEN IS BLANK - POWER BUTTON IS NOT RESPONDING . I HAVE MY RESTORE CD IN HAND . BUT THE SYSTEM DONT RESPOND FOR ANY COMMENDS . CAN ANY ONE HELP ME ? HOW TO CLEAR THE FAULT ? THE FINGER PRINTER READER WAS STOPPED WORKING 3 DAYS BEFORE THIS PROBLEM .
Options

25 Posts

10-02-2012

Israel

29 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 7 of 10

2014-10-27, 23:34 PM

Hello,

A client of mine brought me Lenovo X240 that wouldn't resume from sleep if you tried to resume it something like 20 minutes or more after it been put to sleep (If you resumed it after a minute or 2 it DID resume).

Lenovo replaced the X240 motherboard because of the client complains, But he said that it just increased the number of times it didnt resumed from one in 7 times to one in 2-3 times.

He also complined that when he connects headphones they doesn't work, But that was solved by updating the audio driver to a newer one.

I started reading lot of posts regarding the resume problem. Lenovo support suggested to him to do a factory restore, But he had activated accounting software on his computer and I tried not to use the factory reset option.

I tried all of the suggestions given with this issue, Here are some  :

1. Updating bios

2. updating all drivers (From Lenovo site and then from Driverpack 14.4 dvd)

3. removing fingerprint software and disabling it in the bios and device manager

4. removing relevant drivers (power management, card reader and other related) and reinstalling after restart

5. playing with power management settings of network card

None of these worked, So I decided to keep a try for the system restore

After system restore and instalation of latest drivers (From lenovo and the Driverpack), It still DID NOT resumed from sleep after 20 minutes of sleep or so.I decided to install an image of windows 7 ultimate 32 bit for the test.After installing all the drivers it STILL wasn't solved !!!! Grrrrrr

I gave up......For few hours (Mostly because I needed to get some sleep for next day fights LOL)

Next I resumed the backup of the system I made in case I needed it, And since I saw a poster that mentioned he removed NVIDIA and Intel graphics drivers as one of the proceeses that helped him solved the problem, I tried to fiddle with it.

BUTTOM LINE After updating display drivers from intel site to 10.18, The sleep problem was resolved but then a new problem appeared - Wifi being disabled after resume from 20 minute sleep......Fiddled with it more and rolled back to  earliest 17.0.0.34 drivers and now it seems to work fine.

Maybe this solution will help you. GOOD LUCK !!!

Options

6 Posts

02-25-2015

United States of America

13 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 8 of 10

2015-02-25, 17:28 PM

I have a ThinkPad T540p, solid state drive, Win 8.1, less than a year old, it does the same thing.  They have not fixed this problem that I see in discussions more than a year old?  Hard to believe.  I have downloaded and installed newest fingerprint reader version as of yesterday.  I have no external monitors.

As mentioned by many others in another thread, I can wake up my laptop if I do it soon enough, but after a while, it won't wake up and I have to hold the power button down for 6 seconds to shut it off, then restart it.  If I don't power it off completely, and put it in a case to transport home, when I get home it's very hot so it's still running in sleep mode (?).

Are there any new developments in this problem?

Options

6 Posts

02-25-2015

United States of America

13 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 9 of 10

2015-12-19, 14:43 PM

After putting up with this problem for all this time, i finally got support to investigate.  The laptop is still under warranty.  Turns out that it was a common problem so they sent a tech out to replace the motherboard.  Problem solved... for about 2 weeks. 

Then the system started acting strangely, would not boot up, jumbled screen, then crash.  It would beep sometimes.  Then it would boot if i connected to external monitor.  Then it wouldn't.  Now it's obvious that there is some kind of short in the system, if i touch the area around the fingerprint reader, or even scan my finger, it will crash the system.  Sometimes. 

Lenovo said they needed to replace the motherboard again, but now they're out of them.  I'm not totally convinced that this is the problem, I think maybe the tech who replaced the board didn't secure everything properly or damaged something.  He seemed rough and not that familiar with disassembly and reassembly of the laptop.

Regardless, now i'm stuck without a properly working computer that i depend on for work.  No end in sight getting this part, Lenovo has gone silent.  When i look at repair status on this site it's just a blank white screen.

Is Lenovo "circling the drain"?  How can they stay in business when they cannot honor their warranties?  If they don't have the parts to do warranty work, they should offer a new laptop. 

Time to go back to Dell i guess... sigh.

Options

1 Posts

11-21-2020

India

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 10

Re:Thinkpad X240's Hibernate not working in lid

2020-11-21, 3:15 AM

hi, i'm venkatesan,

i'm using lenovo thinkpad x240 i5 4gen, i tried to setting up my lap in lid down : i choose hibernate in batter or pluged .i save the option and apply. i tried to lid my lap,

its restarted not hibernate.

i tried to in hibernate (start--> power--> hibernate ) its also do restarted. please guide me to fix this problem.

thanking you

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms