Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Haines
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 159
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad X250 fails to support external projector

I have a Thinkpad X250 that I would like to use to send a graphics signal to a VANKYO V600 projector. Pressing Fn-F7 has no effect. The projector complains it is getting no signal. I'm using a VGA cable, and the project is set up for VGA. Operating system on the Thinkpad is Devuan Ascii.
Guru
Views: 145
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad X250 fails to support external projector

Have you tried pressing down the windows key (button that brings up the start menu and has the windows logo) and pressing "p"?

On the projector, are you sure that you've chosen the correct settings so that it looks for the signal from the VGA port?

Go to start, type in Display, click Display Settings. Does it show 2 displays? If not, then press "detect".

Let me know what happens.
Haines
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 93
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for replying, but we are in different worlds. I do not have a windows key or a "start".

You must be thinking of Mac or Windows. As I mentioned, I'm running the Devuan Ascii operating

system.

The Fn-F7 key combination, which in theory turns on the external display, I assume has never much

worked with Linux. But in Devuan there's a straightforward way to select where to send video ouput.

This is the xrandr command. I know that the projector is connected via DP-2 because $ xrandr tells

me so and that DP-1 and HDMI-1 are disconncted.

I use xrandr to open the projector ($ xrandr -d DP-2), but it says "Can't open display DP-2". I can

use xrandr to make the attached DP-2 projector my primary display ($ xrandr --output DP-2 --primary).

I finally was able to send images to the projector, but it is still messed up in a peculiar way.

I'm running a graphics display that supports a slide show. This slide show displays the photos with an

index of images to the left that can be turned on or off. It is this index that is projected rather than

the photos, even if the photos are made full screen.

I suspect this has ceased to be a Thinkpad issue.

I know I need to check for bad cables. I found myself out of backup cables, and so ordered a

USB male-male cable to try. Not optimistic this is the problem.

Guru
Views: 89
Message 4 of 5

My bad, I must have read over the part where you mentioned your operating system.

The issue could be the cable, defective ports, or even a driver that's not well suited for the projector.

I don't know that operating system very well and the projector isn't infront of me, so I'm afraid my usefulness ends here.

Good luck!
Haines
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 86
Message 5 of 5

Thanks again. I have made some progress to point it is not a Thinkpad issue. Only the side panel for the slide viewer is shown, even if the images are made full screen. I have to work this out with my
software.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors