Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quaternione
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,078
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad X280 LED slowly flashing - will not start

Hi everyone,

I was setting up my brandnew X280 and after installing Windows 10 Pro I downloaded Lenovo System Update tool. It proposed a number of updates including a BIOS update and I let it do its job.

Last I recall was the window about BIOS update where I hit enter (or ok).

The noteboks was sitting in a docking station, battery fully charged.

Next time I checked the progress the screen is black and the white power LED is slowly flashing (like being in standby). However I can't wake it up. It will just keep flashing. 

As I can't take out the battery on a X280 what can I do? Pressing the power button for an extended period of time didn't do anything. Is there a hidden key stroke combination or do I have to wait a couple of days (weeks) until the battery has run out?

I'm afraid the BIOS update failed and the system is bricked, even though I followed the instructions by the letter.

Any suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks.

Q.

quaternione
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,004
Message 2 of 4

Solved. Re: Thinkpad X280 LED slowly flashing - will not start

Once the battery run out and the notebook shut down, I plugged it into the power outlet and it booted up just fine. I did the BIOS update (wasn‘t done before the issue) and everythink worked out well.

Waiting for the battery to run out is not satisfactory though. In this case the notebook seemed to use a lot of power as it became pretty warm underneath, so it only took a few hours. But if it really were in standby as the LED indicated it could take days until the system is usable again...

Q.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,984
Message 3 of 4

Re: Solved. Re: Thinkpad X280 LED slowly flashing - will not start

Dear customer,

Have you tried to use reset pin hole located at bottom cover of your X280?

Reset pin hole is located under "Left Hinge" from top view ( from bottom view, under right Hinge ).

quaternione
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,978
Message 4 of 4

Re: Solved. Re: Thinkpad X280 LED slowly flashing - will not start

Ahh, thanks

that was exactly the bit of information I was looking for

Q

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors