SG

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad X390 unable to connect to 2 external monitors

2020-06-30, 14:47 PM

Hi there,

I used to be able to connect my x390 to 2 monitors simultaneously (using 2 different cables, 1 HDMI direct, 1 USB-C-to-VGA adaptor) while working from home. However, after a recent work trip to the office where I used the ThinkPad USB-C Dock,  it seems that when I returned back to work-from-home, I can no longer extend my screens to 2 separate monitors via the original set up any more (I have checked that the cables are working fine, and by testing out both cables, I can only extend my screen to only 1 monitor at a time, but not both)

Any one has a solution please? That would be a great help to my productivity, thanks.

Cheers,

Ethan

Options

79 Posts

09-24-2017

CN

115 Signins

928 Page Views

• Views: 928
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkpad X390 unable to connect to 2 external monitors

2020-07-01, 9:34 AM

I have tried to follow your description to repro the bug. However, everthing worked fine on my side.

1.plug the USB-C to VGA and HDMI to the X390, press Win+P to set the extend mode, the two extend monitors can work normally

2.unplug all the cables and connect the ThinkPad USB-C Dock and HDMI to the X390, the two extend monitors can work normally

3.unplug the ThinkPad USB-C Dock and HDMI, plug USB-C VGA and HDMI to the X390, everthing still work fine.

The Dock and USB-C to VGA that I used is as below:

Any difference from your steps when you see the issue happen?

Options

2 Posts

06-30-2020

SG

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-07-01, 14:17 PM

Hi Amy, thanks for your reply. I can't seem to see your attached image though. 

To clarify, I am currently working from home and am trying to use the following to connect my laptop to 2 extra monitors: 1. HDMI cable 2. USB-C to VGA cable. I don't have a dock station at home (that one is only in the office which I recently used).

What I am currently facing is that the laptop doesn't seem to 'detect' 2 extra monitors under 'Display' in Control panel. No matter which permutation I try, it seems that it can only detect 1 monitor at a time (either the HDMI connected one, or the USB-C to VGA connected one). How do I fix this? The laptop used to be able to connect to both monitors without any problem. The only difference is that I made a trip down to my office and used the thinkpad dock-station (which has only 1 USB-C cable to charge and output to 2 monitors simultaneously - not sure if its related though). My local IT cant even help, saying its likely an issue with the Graphics driver.

Anyway the greatest miracle happened. I was trying on and off a few more times while tying this email and now it miraculously can detect both monitors now. Thank god! 

Options

79 Posts

09-24-2017

CN

115 Signins

928 Page Views

• Views: 928
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-07-03, 1:57 AM

Luckily your issue is fixed. But I still feel curious about your problem.

The only difference is that I made a trip down to my office and used the thinkpad dock-station (which has only 1 USB-C cable to charge and output to 2 monitors simultaneously - not sure if its related though)

So you have tried to connect two monitors to this USB-C Dock?

Could you provide the picture of it in order to know whether mine is the same as yours? 

BRG.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete