Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

07-03-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 1

Thinkpad X395 Disappointment

2020-07-03, 14:23 PM

February 2020 I started using met Thinkpad X395. As happy as I was then, the disappointed I am now. A couple of weeks ago (June 2020), the screen of the laptop suddenly broke. It happen during movement of the laptop inside my house without dropping or bumping it. The screen showed a row of dead pixels at the top right, and the rest of the screen was colored green/pink. All other functions were working and even extending the screen on an external screen did not show anything unusual. In addition, no damage was observed on the outside. I sent my laptop to the Lenovo Repair Centre since the laptop came with 3 year of warranty. 

After one week, I received an e-mail stating that the broken screen was allegedly caused by ‘user damage’ and would not be covered by the warranty. Costs of repair: 393 euros. I did not see this coming and was very shocked by the amount of money, namely one third of the original price. For further questions I could call or e-mail. So, I decided to send an e-mail to ask what the exact damage was as this was not explained in the first e-mail. And to ask how they came to the conclusion that it must had been user damage. The reply stated that the LCD screen was torn on the INside which is not covered by the warranty. Alleged cause according to the service worker: ‘it could have been torn during transport or because something heavy was placed on top of it’. 

This is very remarkable, since I had been working at home for the 3 months before it happened – so only ‘transported’ the laptop inside my house. And of course I did not put anything on top of my laptop. This keeps me wondering how something like this could happen all of a sudden. The hard case of laptops is designed to protect the vulnerable inside content of a laptop and should have avoided a problem like this. Apparently, laptops of Lenovo are not a robust as they are claimed to be. Especially since the laptop was used for less than 6 months. 

I am very disappointed in the quality of the laptop AND the customer service of the Repair Centre. My e-mails were not carefully/completely read – the answers were incomplete- and it took a day to reply.  Therefore, I also tried to call. This was a lost case from the beginning. Immediately after dialing the number, it was said that no employee was available to talk on the phone, and I was asked to leave a voicemail. This happened multiple times on different days/times. Of course, there was no call back after leaving my phone number. 

Taking all this into account, the quality of the product and the customer service of the repair centre are complete disappointments. I get the feeling that they would do everything to avoid the warranty coverage and leave their customer with highly expensive repairs. I regret ever buying this laptop. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms