Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

06-04-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad Yoga X1 1st Gen 20FR BIOS Recovery Mode

2021-06-04, 7:26 AM

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Yoga X1 1st Generation 20FR.

It appears that I have an issue with version 1.38 of the bios which causes a slow boot, the pc will not shut down or perform bios updates. 

I get errors due to an issue with the Intel MEI/AMT (HECI ERRORS). 

Looking at various support groups, it suggests that the portion in the bios could have become corrupt and a bios update may resolve this.

As I cannot perform a bios update using the normal methods, I have discovered other Lenovo models offer a BIOS Recovery mode (Fn R or Fn B) at boot up and a bootable usb disk. 

Does this work on thinkpad Yoga X1 as a BIOS recovery may resolve my issues if it works on a Thinkpad?

Any help would be appreciated.

omegle xender
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

328 Signins

14356 Page Views

• Views: 14356
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkpad Yoga X1 1st Gen 20FR BIOS Recovery Mode

2021-06-04, 8:26 AM

Hi EleanorWyatt,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The Thinkpad Yoga X1 1st Gen (MT: 20FR) does not have a BIOS Recovery Mode or Self Healing BIOS. 

I'd suggest trying to add the latest BIOS Update file to a USB Flash Drive, and re-flashing it on startup (Depending on the file available for your device, this might not work). You might want to try and roll it back to a previous version as well, but make sure you enable "Secure RollBack Prevention" in BIOS before doing so. 

Below you'll find the instructions on how to roll back the BIOS version.

BIOS Back Flash
- Completely shut down the device.  
- Press F1 repeatedly on startup to enter BIOS.
- In the "Security" Tab, click "UEFI BIOS Update Option" then set "Secure Rollback Prevention" to "Disabled"
- Click the "Restart" Tab and click "Save Exiting Changes" or Press "F10"
- PC will Restart and enter the Windows Environment.
- Head over to the Support Page for your device.
- Under Drivers & Software, Manual Update, then BIOS section, you can find the latest BIOS version.    
- Expand the BIOS driver with the down arrow. Right Click the download icon, then select "Copy Link Address"
- Paste it into the URL section of the browser (Don't hit enter yet!)
- Change the nr of the bios version  (ex: 8HCN36WW  to 8HCN35WW or 8HCN34WW) and hit enter.
- Do this in the URL input section of the browser until you find the previous BIOS version to download.
- Right click the file and select "Run as Administrator"
**Note: You can also attach the file to a USB flash drive, boot from USB through BIOS and then run it that way.
**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing this update.

Hops this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

100 Posts

12-30-2011

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

125 Signins

1122 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1122
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-06-06, 21:03 PM
Sorry to Hijack the thread. I too have the same issue which has been raised here and @lorenzo has made some suggestions much like this. I have Thinkpad Yoga X1 1st Gen 20FR BIOS Version 1,38 and Regardless of bios update or roll back the laptop goes into hibernation and requires a reset with a paperclip. The bios update fails reading the capsule, shuts down windows and then hibernates. Its the same story with a iso bios update.
Options

91 Posts

08-15-2017

Netherlands

126 Signins

1351 Page Views

• Views: 1351
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-06-06, 21:55 PM

I think

1. attaching the USB BIOS drive

2. Press and hold Fn + R

3. Attach AC power

(lots of loud beeping going on)

Wait for a while until you hear  'beeping'-- short and long 'beeps'
The sound is loud
You'll see the power button LED blinking
ThinkPad will power on and off before 'beeping'

Release your hold of the keys after a few seconds of 'beeping'
This process can take one or several minutes to complete
ThinkPad is supposed to shutdown, and power back on when the BIOS Flashing is complete.

does as recovery flash.

Right?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms