Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bearspa
SCSI Port
Views: 3,881
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad Yoga X1 running hot

I just got my Yoga X1 running Win 7.  It was noticeably hot (particularly compared to the Thinkpad Carbon 4th Gen), so I used CPU HWMonitor, where it shows core temps reaching as high as 71C.  This is while I was doing nothing more than surfing the net.  Is this something to worry about?  Results

CPUID HWMonitor.PNG

Thanks for any advice.

Guru
Views: 3,868
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad Yoga X1 running hot

66C at 10W TDP seems more or less normal to me. If you think it is a bit high you can contact technical support and mail them the picture. But they will probably say the same.

The X1 Yoga is a ultrathin convertible, so I am not surprised by these results.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 3,858
Message 3 of 7

a slim laptop will allways get hig temps around 50-70c in light load so thats normal temp for a laptop like this Smiley Happy unless it had 90c or 100c in idle that something is not right.

bearspa
SCSI Port
Views: 3,844
Message 4 of 7

Thanks, guys, for getting back to me so soon.  Good to hear that there's nothing wrong with the machine per se.  Gets a bit uncomfortable after a while, so I'll see if it is tolerable.  Other than that, I really like the unit. 

JakeSully, you had responded to a concern I had with the Carbon X1 re the GPU and Lightroom.  This unit has the same problem, which, based on your comments in that thread is what you would expect.  So I turned the GPU off for Lightroom--still works fast enough for me.  I had returned the Carbon because neither the touchpad nor the Trackpoint gave me enough control for editiing pictures.  The pen in the Yoga seems to work better so far. 

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 3,838
Message 5 of 7

just one thing this 2 laptops do not have pyshical GPU's it has intergated intel hd into cpu chip so yeah if you wanna run heavier program requiring alot of gpu load then you should buy one with external nvidia or amd gpu Smiley Happy

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 3,772
Message 6 of 7

Might I suggest you also update the BIOS to the latest version and the graphics card drivers? I had some excessive fan noise even when doing something really light on my X1 Yoga, and these updates helped a lot. I don't know if it has anything to do with core temperatures though.

Also, today many web pages are VERY HEAVY. Often I see web pages that use a lot of CPU, probably because of badly written javascript. You can spot them in Chrome task manager (which will tell you exactly which page it is) or in the Windows Task manager. Killing the offending TAB alone will return everything to normal. 

I just wanted to point this out because under normal web surfing mode, the X1 Yoga should be virtually silent (and not hot and noisy).

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
bearspa
SCSI Port
Views: 3,769
Message 7 of 7

Thanks lenardg--I'll have some time later this week to do this, and will report back.  I'll have to ask my wife about the fan, as I am hard of hearing!

JakeSully, I am very happy with the responsiveness of the Yoga whiile doing LR.  Keeps up very well, even without the GPU.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors