07-20-2018

US

27 Signins

234 Page Views

• Views: 234
  • Message 11 of 19

Re: Thinkpad Yoga - trouble with cursor jumping and closing programs

2018-11-10, 22:28 PM

Follow-up: created a service ticket that same day I posted above and received a message today that the necessary part (I assume another screen) is currently on backorder. 

Options

27 Posts

04-14-2018

US

55 Signins

319 Page Views

• Views: 319
  • Message 12 of 19

2018-11-11, 0:28 AM

I haven't had a technician out to take a look at my X1 Yoga yet. I disabled the drivers in Windows and in Linux, and have been using the laptop as if it wasn't a Yoga. No touch screen, no tent mode, etc. Mostly I'm so angry with Lenovo that I don't even want to deal with their incompetent tech support. It's clear their hiring bar fell somewhere on the floor long, long ago.

I noticed that when I re-enable the driver, the symptoms come back with a vengence. Imagine a spring-loaded or rubber-band effect, where as soon as the driver is enabled, the laptop is completely unusable because of the crazy amount of random click inputs. If I reboot, the effect is at first not noticeable, but slowly becomes worse and worse (over hours/days). So, it feels a bit like a software/driver problem, but it has to be hardware related as well since it happens with the Linux drivers the same way.

I'll probably call to have an on-site dude diagnose what's going on, but I don't expect it to be fixed. Needless to say I'll never buy another Lenovo product in my life.

Of course nobody from Lenovo reads these posts, so they don't care. They have my money already.

Options

11 Posts

07-08-2018

DE

26 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 13 of 19

2018-11-11, 1:37 AM

I had the same problem and it vanished after Lenovo exchanged the display. Apparently it was a problem with the touchpanel. 

Btw., I also greatly regret the purchase - my trackpad constantly screeches and my Thinkpad crackles and peeps audibly most of the time. No help yet since >4 months.

Options

13 Posts

07-20-2018

US

27 Signins

234 Page Views

• Message 14 of 19

2018-11-11, 5:29 AM

Horgh I can empathize with you. I was on the fence between this and a Surface Book and I'm beginning to regret my decision.

Options

27 Posts

04-14-2018

US

55 Signins

319 Page Views

• Message 15 of 19

2018-11-11, 8:16 AM

wrote:

Horgh I can empathize with you. I was on the fence between this and a Surface Book and I'm beginning to regret my decision.

I really wanted tent mode for my use case, I chose that over the thinner bezel of the regular X1. Now I have neither tent mode, nor a thin bezel. I stopped caring much about this laptop as a result and just use it and abuse it like a $500 Chromebook. I still enjoy the keyboard and luckily I haven't had any of the other issues that have been getting reported here, but man, Lenovo really got it wrong with this model.

Options

13 Posts

07-20-2018

US

27 Signins

234 Page Views

• Message 16 of 19

2018-12-05, 19:08 PM

Update: 

The tech came yesterday and replaced the screen, however, the new screen didn't work at all, so somehow I came out of the visit with a less-functional computer than before. He said that he had to order another screen and that he'd be back, today, to replace it yet again.

Later, after he left, I received an email from Lenovo requesting my feedback on the recently closed ticket. In my state of disbelief, I called the support line to inquire. They couldn't speak to the closing of the ticket but assured me that a tracking number had been created for the new part (but, at the time of our conversation, hadn't yet been picked up by UPS). Long story short, I'm writing this on a somewhat brick of a 4-month old laptop that cost $2,200 and is currently connected via HDMI to a monitor at work. 

So much buyer's remorse, right now...

Options

27 Posts

04-14-2018

US

55 Signins

319 Page Views

• Message 17 of 19

2018-12-07, 0:19 AM

wrote:

Update: 

The tech came yesterday and replaced the screen, however, the new screen didn't work at all, so somehow I came out of the visit with a less-functional computer than before. He said that he had to order another screen and that he'd be back, today, to replace it yet again.

Later, after he left, I received an email from Lenovo requesting my feedback on the recently closed ticket. In my state of disbelief, I called the support line to inquire. They couldn't speak to the closing of the ticket but assured me that a tracking number had been created for the new part (but, at the time of our conversation, hadn't yet been picked up by UPS). Long story short, I'm writing this on a somewhat brick of a 4-month old laptop that cost $2,200 and is currently connected via HDMI to a monitor at work. 

So much buyer's remorse, right now...

Wow, that is unbelievable! Actually, wait, given what I've read on these forums since becoming a Lenovo customer (again), I believe it. I still haven't contacted customer support, my X1 Yoga has been mostly stable, ignoring the fact that I have no touch screen. Never again.

Options

13 Posts

07-20-2018

US

27 Signins

234 Page Views

• Message 18 of 19

2018-12-07, 4:59 AM

Update: This is now the close of the second full day I've had this laptop with a dead screen. Just getting to this point where I could mirror the picture on my TV via HDMI was a chore because upon plugging in it wasn't duplicating, rather extending, and all of the programs and control panel were opening in the primary (aka dead) screen.

I received no calls or emails today regarding the replacement replacement parts, so I called the 888 number again, provided my case, and was informed that they didn't have the tech's number or information about the parts but recommended that I call the tech, directly, to schedule a revist. I found this not only unacceptable (from a  case management standpoint) but almost laughable, comsidering I was speaking to someone representing Lenovo, and the tech works for a company effectively contracted by IBM to service these machines.

As I type this, the screen is now beginning to flicker angrily as I type--this is perhaps the only thing about the computer that I can presently agree with. 

Options

13 Posts

07-20-2018

US

27 Signins

234 Page Views

• Message 19 of 19

2018-12-13, 22:42 PM

Update: 5 days after my last post, a tech once again came out to repair the computer, this time armed only with a cable (he later said he wasn't sure why a replacement screen wasn't also ordered). To my ever-decreasing surprise, this did not fix the issue (absolutely no picture on screen) so he placed an order for another screen and cable.

2 days later (today), a different tech arrived with two screens, tried both, to no avail, so I'm now through three closed tickets, 4 on-site visits, and 4 screen replacements, all at the end of which has left me with a computer far less functional than the one I had prior to opening the second ticket. 

I called Lenovo after the on-site case was closed and requested either a replacement unit or refund. I'm supposed to get a call from someone in an area to which the escalated ticket will be referred. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete