Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 1,820
Message 1 of 17

Thinkpad Yoga - trouble with cursor jumping and closing programs

Yet another thing seems to be wrong with my Yoga. Every so often, the cursor will jump to the upper right corner of the screen and minimize my maximized window, or to the lower right corner and open up the action center. It does this several times in a row, almost like someone else is controlling the touchpad/mouse. Then it'll suddenly go away, only to come back minutes or hours later. I also noticed that when watching fullscreen videos, the video controls will come up randomly, as if I moved the mouse or touched the touchpad.

I tried to uninstall all input devices, rebooting twice and letting Windows reinstall them. I thought it helped, but it didn't. I just updated the Synaptics driver to the latest May 2018 one, but that didn't fix the problem either.

Any idea what's going on? Is it the touchpad? The trackpad? The pen? The touchscreen? I read all kinds of crazy ideas on another thread, from putting tin foil under the keyboard, to disabling the wacom digitizer. I haven't tried those yet.

I swear, this is the worst purchase I have made in a long time. Lenovo is about to lose a customer for life.

Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 1,777
Message 2 of 17

Re: Thinkpad Yoga - trouble with cursor jumping and closing programs

I want to follow up on my own post in case anyone reads this in the future, but also in case anyone has other ideas.

In order to try to troubleshoot the issue, I disabled the trackpad in the bios, leaving the touchpad on. The problem persisted. I then enabled the trackpad and disabled the touchpad, the problem persisted. So, I then deleted the Wacom device under "Human Interfaces" and used the Group Policy editor to prevent Windows from re-installing the digitizer. My touch screen no longer works, but so far I haven't experienced the problem. So, it may actually be a touchscreen (driver?) problem.

Anyone else have anything similar? I also noticed that sometimes random text would be seleted at the top of my screen, like YouTube video titles, etc., without me actually touching anything to select the text. Very, very annoying.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,773
Message 3 of 17

@Horgh wrote:

Anyone else have anything similar? I also noticed that sometimes random text would be seleted at the top of my screen, like YouTube video titles, etc., without me actually touching anything to select the text. Very, very annoying.

Sadly, yes, and for many (all?) it seems to be a hardware problem. My guess is inadequate electromagnetic shielding. See this thread. The post that is marked as solution (disable AdAware) is definitely not a solution for all. A utility was developed that disabled the Wacom driver when the display was closed, but unfortunately this utility was never released to the public. 

Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 1,766
Message 4 of 17

@joesixgig wrote:

@Horgh

Sadly, yes, and for many (all?) it seems to be a hardware problem. My guess is inadequate electromagnetic shielding. See this thread. The post that is marked as solution (disable AdAware) is definitely not a solution for all. A utility was developed that disabled the Wacom driver when the display was closed, but unfortunately this utility was never released to the public. 

Yes, I saw that thread before I posted my own, and on the last page, last post, is where I found the way to block Windows from re-installing the digitizer. It seems like a lot of posts in that thread are random guesses at what's happening, talking about anti-virus and adware programs. I didn't see anything that definitely pointed to magnetic interference. 

I have another issue with the laptop that may be related? The bottom panel (the panel the laptop sits on, with the rubber feet) is squishy in the corners, under my palm rests. Basically I can move it a few miimeteres as the corner screws seem "too long". I think I may have squished whatever material was underneath it by carrying it by the palm-rest-corner many times. I could see how something got pressed together and is causing some touchpad interference, but it wouldn't explain the touchscreen, I don't think?

I'm probably going to be asked to send the laptop back in, but has anyone gotten a fix from Lenovo factory for this issue?

Edit: I just saw your edit. Please note that this issue is happening to me with the built-in display, and the lid open. I never hook up to any external display. So this is just the laptop by itself. The cursor actually often goes crazy on its own when I'm not touching the laptop at all, it's just sitting on my kitchen counter playing a YouTube video.

Misch777
Paper Tape
Views: 1,721
Message 5 of 17

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. Touchpad and WinPad drivers are up to date. Is there a way to fix this issue by updating software or is it hardware related? Sorry for the annoying question, but the action centre that pops up every minute and it drives me crazy...

Best,

Michel

Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 1,708
Message 6 of 17

@Misch777 wrote:

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. Touchpad and WinPad drivers are up to date. Is there a way to fix this issue by updating software or is it hardware related? Sorry for the annoying question, but the action centre that pops up every minute and it drives me crazy...

Best,

Michel

I'm 99% sure this is a hardware problem with the touchscreen. I say that because I experience the same exact phantom clicks (upper and lower right corners) in Linux, which uses a completely different driver (as far as I know). If I disable the touchscreen drivers (both in Linux and in Windows), the problem goes away. I plan to send my laptop back to Lenovo to have the touchscreen replaced.

I hate this laptop at this point.

Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 1,627
Message 7 of 17

I'll follow up on my own thread in case anyone searches this in the future. What I'm experiencing is definitely a faulty touchscreen. I disabled the touchscreen driver in Windows and I've had no phantom clicks, no windows being minimzed, no menus being brought up. The laptop behaves as it should in this regard. I disabled the touchscreen driver in Linux as well, and that resolved the same symptoms under that OS. I've been without a touchscreen since, which means I wasted money on the Yoga version of this laptop. I'll probably send it back to Lenovo for warranty repair soon, but I have ZERO confidence that they'll actually replace the screen instead of just wiping my hard drive.

What a miserable experience with what should be a flag-ship product.

ThinkpAdam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,158
Message 8 of 17

The same stuff you're experiencing:

I got my 3G Thinkpad Yoga in late July and began to notice this less than a month in. I first noticed that it was switching tabs in Chrome simply from my moving where my hand was resting or adjusting the position of the computer on my lap (or if I picked it up to set it down somewhere else). I then noticed entire windows getting closed, Cortana appearing unsolicited, and the Notifications Center opening and closing on its own (think Ghostbusters library card catalog drawers opening and closing and cards flying everywhere). I began to assume that part of the problem was the screen when I would lightly tap one area or another on the back of the lid and it would sometimes register that as input. Also, I was noticing the faintest of occasional screen flickers. At the time that I searched online (and I swear I tried all sorts of phrasing), I couldn't find anyone else with the same problem.

The stuff you're probably more interested in:

I created a support ticket and the service tech came out to have a look. "Fortunately", it was bad enough that I could recreate the problem for him and he went about replacing the screen half. He said he thought it might be a cable getting pinched somewhere and that was causing the undesirable input. Sure enough, that new screen fixed the problem. I gently jostled the computer around in my hands, tapped it everywhere it wasn't designed to be tapped and nothing undesirable happened.

The stuff that'll make you a little frustrated:

That was early/mid August. I can report that as of mid-October, I'm once again experiencing the same issues. The screen isn't flickering as much but the unwanted window/tab closures are back in force. I came on here to create a new ticket and thought I'd quickly see if anyone else was now having this problem. Also, separately, the black coating off the front lip of the lower half of the clamshell has been flaking off, leprosy style. I hear there's little Lenovo is willing to do about that and I'm already regretting the semi-obscene amount of money I spent on this computer.

Mod's Comment: this posting was removed in error by the Forum's Spam Filter and has now been restored.   Due to the number of edits you performed on this post, the filter automatically removed it from publication believing it to be spam.  Sorry for the confusion and extra work.

ThinkpAdam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,121
Message 9 of 17

Follow-up: created a service ticket that same day I posted above and received a message today that the necessary part (I assume another screen) is currently on backorder. 

Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 1,108
Message 10 of 17

I haven't had a technician out to take a look at my X1 Yoga yet. I disabled the drivers in Windows and in Linux, and have been using the laptop as if it wasn't a Yoga. No touch screen, no tent mode, etc. Mostly I'm so angry with Lenovo that I don't even want to deal with their incompetent tech support. It's clear their hiring bar fell somewhere on the floor long, long ago.

I noticed that when I re-enable the driver, the symptoms come back with a vengence. Imagine a spring-loaded or rubber-band effect, where as soon as the driver is enabled, the laptop is completely unusable because of the crazy amount of random click inputs. If I reboot, the effect is at first not noticeable, but slowly becomes worse and worse (over hours/days). So, it feels a bit like a software/driver problem, but it has to be hardware related as well since it happens with the Linux drivers the same way.

I'll probably call to have an on-site dude diagnose what's going on, but I don't expect it to be fixed. Needless to say I'll never buy another Lenovo product in my life.

Of course nobody from Lenovo reads these posts, so they don't care. They have my money already.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors