Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jorr
Paper Tape
Views: 2,327
Message 11 of 55

Re: Thinkpad x1 Carbon 6th Gen - Speakers Cracking Noise

I seem to have the very same problem and indeed it is only hearable (or at least much worse) when plugged in.

Initially I thought it's just the windows sounds that go cracking (because of drivers) but indeed the Youtube video that Smooth2 has posted produces cracking and whining as well :/

Wonder if this means I should invoke the warranty on the laptop... seing how it was shipped internationally, this is going to be tough.

@someotherguy helped with some comments on the fan noise in other threads, maybe on this one as well?

walla90
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,185
Message 12 of 55

GOOD NEWS!!!!!! 

Well, it looks like Lenovo latest BIOS updates (N23ET50W 1.25) fixed the problem for me. 

I have used Lenovo Vantage and downloaded all the latest updates Including the one for the BIOS and after the auto restart the cracking nosies gone! 

I hope they will never return. 

Thanks for the updates Lenovo. 

Smiley Happy

Xen0bu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,163
Message 13 of 55

Hot **bleep**.. going to try it out today!

Xen0bu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,149
Message 14 of 55

New bios update (N23ET48W 1.23) works like a charm, no more cracking noises !

dm-00
Punch Card
Views: 2,087
Message 15 of 55

I have the same problem with sound. After updating the BIOS, the drivers remain unresolved, but the noise became a little quieter. After the update, there was a second problem - the CPU is constantly running at maximum frequency.

The notebook warms up and makes noise all the time.

SmoothX2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,052
Message 16 of 55

Exactly @dm-00 !!

I don't know whow that was marked as a "SOLUTION" but its not.

I didn't even boot the original OS, I installed Windows 10 Pro Workstation 1803. I kept checking for updates everyday, I installed BIOS updates the day it came out. All it did was lower the volume and maybe some other audio spec editing (like when you mess with the equalizer). When my normal volume was around ~20 after the update I had to go with 40+ . And all my use is done using headphones, not speakers themselves.

Cracking never stoped, even after audio driver updates. Especially when playing low bitrate audio or very high bitrate audio (.flac format which is losless). 

Being an audiophile and someone who spends $500 for headphones, I had to return this machine.

dm-00
Punch Card
Views: 2,043
Message 17 of 55

The problem with sound is for headphones (I've tried 4 different headphone models) and for built-in speakers. During the reproduction of speech there is an extraneous sound, as if a metal squeak was added. The better the model of headphones, the more audible extraneous noise.

The support service offers to record audio and send it to them. How can I record sound from headphones?

I took the microphone and the other day I will record the sound from the speakers and from the headphones.
I'm very upset that such a defect is present in a good laptop.

A laptop for 2k + should not have such drawbacks.

SmoothX2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,035
Message 18 of 55

I already did that.

I recorded using an 2nd laptop (HP EliteBook) with a microphone jack. Then you can use a simple AUX cable (male to male) and connect the X1 headphoen jack to microphone jack of the 2nd laptop. I recorded the audio using Adobe Audition. Then I recorded the same audio playing from X1 3rd gen which has no problems. Without even listening, you can literally see the cracking noise on the audio graph comparing the same audio output for 6th gen vs 3rd gen.

I should have published the results here but I already returned my 6th gen. On top of audio, synaptics for me was a deal breaker. Simply put I cannot live without the touchpad precision of X1 3rd gen. The 6th gen simply uses cheaper synaptics hardware.

So yeah, they dropped the ball on 6th gen. This is coming form a big fan of X1 Carbon.

There's no fix besides a recall and replacement of audio card. All the driver/software fixes will be bs, just ways to "mask" or "camouflage" the issue, I bet the issue will remain permanently.

px79
What's DOS?
Views: 1,885
Message 19 of 55

I just received my X1 Yoga 3rd Gen and I am hearing this exact problem in my speaker. @Lenovo -- time for another BIOS fix on this?

Is anyone with the X1 Carbon 6th Gen having this problem after the BIOS fix?

UPDATE: Created a separate thread for X1 Yoga. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-x1-Yoga-3rd-Gen-Speakers-Cracking-No...

Highlighted
goth_bacon
Serial Port
Views: 1,760
Message 20 of 55

I'm having a similar (or same) problem.  When I watch a video with headphones while charging, I hear this high pitched whine/crackling/static noise in the background, which cuts out for a split second every few seconds.  It persists for a second even when I pause the video.  This noise doesn't happen when it's plugged in, or when playing audio from speakers.  I also noticed when I play videos (whether on youtube or a media player), there's no audio for the first two seconds.  I don't know if those problems are related.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors