Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goth_bacon
Serial Port
Views: 1,186
Message 31 of 56

Re: Thinkpad x1 Carbon 6th Gen - Speakers Cracking Noise

With the BIOS update, the 2 second delay seems to be gone, but I still get the slight crackling noise in my headphones.  But this is from literally 1 minute of testing.  Will report back if I find out more.

Edit: Actually I don't think it's fixed.

dm-00
Punch Card
Views: 1,099
Message 32 of 56

I updated the BIOS, downloaded from the site supports and installed the latest drivers. Nothing helped. All the deffects remained unchanged.
There is no software solution to the problem. This is a hardware deffect.
The master has not touched my laptop yet. Apparently, the service department is so busy that the defect will be corrected after the release of Carbon x1 gen 7.
Lenovo, hurry up! You will lose already few users.

NV_stat
Punch Card
Views: 938
Message 33 of 56

Carbon X 6th gen sound crackling on audio output

Dear community,

I hope that I am not reiterating problems from the previous unanswered threads. I did see something similar here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-Audio-Stuttering-High-DPC-Latency/t..., but I am not certain that this is really the problem, nor there is a solution to that post. 

I have Carbon X 6th Gen, i5 vPro 8thGen processor, 16gb of RAM machine that is running windows 10. From the first moment on, I noticed a considerable static noise when wearing my headset and listening to the music. This is also followed by the popping noises in the situation of conversations and speech listening. These noises in combination with my tinnitus are driving me mental. 

The solution that I had from the first moment on, was to de-install the original Realtek driver and install generic HD driver for the sound. This would reduce the quality of a sound a bit, but I would not have these interferences at least. However, after every windows update, or Lenovo update, the problems would come back again, and I would have to go through fresh de and re-installations. Now I got to the point of despair, as not even that is helping. I can reduce the problem to the level of popping (exclude the static), but even that is enough to distract me from my work. 

For my review of the laptop, I posted that laptop has these problems. This resulted in support suggesting me to try to re-install the drives. This did not really help. From that moment on I was searching the internet for a potential solution and I found this that this situation can be caused by multiple factors (https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/fix-audio-staticcracklingpopping-with-realtek-sound-card/), including DPC latency. When I run the suggested program to check for that, the latency is systematically higher than expected. I tried finding which driver resulted in this increased latency, but alas no indication. Clues to the potential solution are that the sound drivers are badly written. 

I was also contemplating maybe getting a new headset, as this one is not so 'professional', meaning it is on the cheap side. However, I am not convinced that because the machine is expensive, every add-on should follow that price range to have optimal performance. 

Once again, I am really sorry if this topic is reiterated. Equally, I am not an expert in computer hardware and software, so I might have explained the problem in a naive way. 

I would appreciate your advice and thoughts on this situation. 

P.S. If you think that solution is to get rid of the windows and go for Linux, I am more and more inclined to second that. 

Moderator note: post moved to existing thread.

birykvlad
Punch Card
Views: 888
Message 34 of 56

At me too ThinkPad and this problem also is present, update BIOS to version 1.28 solved this problem partially, but the crack still remained.

Highlighted
NV_stat
Punch Card
Views: 833
Message 35 of 56

It seems that returning the machine is the optimal solution. I cannot continue with re-installation of the sound drivers, just to dampen the whining.  

dm-00
Punch Card
Views: 823
Message 36 of 56

The problem is solved by replacing the motherboard.
Updating drivers, BIOS, Windows can not solve this problem!

If you like the Tinkpad, you should apply for a warranty and replace the motherboard.
Ask for a replacement in your presence - it will take 1 hour.

NV_stat
Punch Card
Views: 795
Message 37 of 56

Thank you for the advice! I assume that after the motherboard replacement you do not have any problems with the sound and crackling noise. 

dm-00
Punch Card
Views: 773
Message 38 of 56

Yes it is. The problem with sound was solved.

NV_stat
Punch Card
Views: 697
Message 39 of 56

I had a Lenovo technician coming today and changing the motherboard, as I was unaware that they automatically put the BitLocker on the system, I was locked out of it after he changed the part. I tried to retrieve the keys, but as I was not the one who installed the version of the Windows, I did not have those keys. I tried to get them from my Microsoft profile, however, they are not linked to my account. Lenovo puts blame on Microsoft and Microsoft on Lenovo. 

I reinstalled the Windows, as I have everything backed-up. Not only that the sound problem still persists, but now my track navy system is not working and I cannot activate it for some reason. This laptop is a huge failure. 

dm-00
Punch Card
Views: 667
Message 40 of 56

Do not accept this work Lenovo. Contact again and ask for another replacement of the motherboard. If this does not correct the problem, then require another replacement of the board, and then file a claim demanding a refund of the cost of the laptop and compensation for the damage that was caused by Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors