Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walla90
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,796
Message 1 of 42

Thinkpad x1 Carbon 6th Gen - Speakers Cracking Noise

Hi, 

So I have this very strange problems with my beautiful amazing X1 Carbon 6th gen, 

When the computer play sound while pluged in to the charger power cort there is very starnge cracking noise from the speakers. 

The strange part is that the problem is gone as soon as I unplug the laptop from the power cort. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you!

Expatmark
Punch Card
Views: 2,736
Message 2 of 42

Re: Thinkpad x1 Carbon 6th Gen - Speakers Cracking Noise

Mine do not crackle. Looks Like different people have different issues with this new X1 Carbon. I am now hoping Apple releases a new updated MacBook Pro in June so I can put this back in the return box. This laptop would be great and amazing if everything just worked properly.

Xen0bu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,716
Message 3 of 42

I have the exact same problem. I was going nuts until I found out that it only cracks when the power is plugged in. I've tried downgrading the bios, reinstalling the drivers but the problem still persists. 

evil4dmin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,645
Message 4 of 42

Same here! Also it is cracking when using the Soundchip in the Thunderbolt USB-C Dock and the Ultra Dock too. Testing with a generic USB Soundcard showed the same result. Seems to be a latency issue i guess and is related to power management and/or drivers.

Quick check with http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon shows some serious dropouts when on full performance (on AC power).

Hope that Lenovo will get this sorted soon.

Xen0bu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,603
Message 5 of 42

I hope that this is just a software issue, can't afford to send this laptop to warranty and wait for weeks.. 

TomDB
What's DOS?
Views: 2,538
Message 6 of 42

Very same problem here: annoying crackling sound when plugged in, no issues on battery. 

Add to that a mouse cursor that hangs every x seconds for a split second and a trackpad that every now and then is very unresponsive and I'm pretty underwhelmed by this 2K+ laptop.

I hope they fix these things soon.

walla90
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,442
Message 7 of 42

Dear Lenovo, 

Please Please fix this very enion problem, Its a very bad expiriance from a $2000+ laptop! 

We are all waiting to enjoy our laptops. 

Thanks! 

SmoothX1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,385
Message 8 of 42

Its called COIL WHINING, google it.

Its pretty bad, yeah I thought it was only when plugged in but not really, when you play quiet sounds ex. a mute scene on a movie, you can still hear the static on the background. It's not just cracking.

Also you can hear the static at a higher pitch if you boot up and let the pc rest for a bit then increase the volume using windows default menu. It's horrible for an audiophile.

Not driver related. No driver can fix this.

Even if they release a "fix" it will only be something to mask it but it will still be there.

They switch the side of the headphone jack and it's probably near the GPU hence the noise of electricity traveling through the wire.

evil4dmin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,357
Message 9 of 42

@SmoothX1 wrote:

Its called COIL WHINING, google it.

No! Coil whining is a different issue. As an IT professional i know how coil whining sounds (from several bad GPU boards, lcd screens etc.) and i agree that it is also a major issue and most probably can only be fixed by changing the hardware.

The cracking noise we are hearing is most likely a timing issue which is related to throttling and power management software. As i mentioned earlier it is independent from the internal hardware - professional USB soundcards are affected too, even if they are electrically isolated from the usb-port.

In my opinion this should be addressable by drivers/bios updates.

Cheers

Jan

SmoothX2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,337
Message 10 of 42

It's not just cracking man that you hear during bootup or heavy load, I actually hear whining when just playing an mp3 file. Try listening to Piano Solo music, it becomes unbearable after a few min. But maybe it's just my laptop.

Found this video that makes cracking & whining go crazy after 20 sec.
Disregard the content and please report back if you experience the same.

Sure the audio quality in the video isn't good but no cracking or whining on X1 3rd Gen or other devices.

Regardless, audio is not my problem now, synaptics is dropping the ball big time.

Top Kudoed Authors