cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreidragomir
Fanfold Paper
Views: 981
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th gen - Latest Intel HD Graphics driver freezes and stutters

My config: 8550u, 16gb ram, 2560x1440 HDR panel

Latest drivers on all the components, everything is kept up-to-date via lenovo vantage windows app.

This behavior happens with and without Intelligent Cooling option in lenovo vantage

I have noticed that updating to latest intel hd graphics driver 25.20.100.6472 (either via windows update DCH drivers - which are enforced by the way - or via lenovo support website ) my laptop is not working properly anymore -> I get constant stutters / freezes of around 1-3 seconds (tried with both wired mouse and touchpad).

These freezes generally occur shortly after the system boots - mainly after 5-10 minutes after the boot time, then they occur regularly and never stop. It's also curious that any action done during the freeze period will register after the  mentioned 1-3 seconds delay.

The only workaround I have found is to use Rollback driver to version 24.20.100.6223 from device manager for the intel hd graphics, so this tells me that most likely there are issues with the latest drivers from Intel and my Lenovo x1c 6th gen.

I will be more than happy to provide any needed logs, however I am not that technical myself and don't know where to look.

andreidragomir
Fanfold Paper
Views: 873
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th gen - Latest Intel HD Graphics driver freezes and stutters

Replying to my own post as I have found a solution, that is not very elegant - but works.

So, as other users pointed out on lenovo forums, this issue seems to be related to panel self-refresh setting in Intel Graphics Control Panel.

However, disabling this became impossible with the drivers offered by Lenovo or Windows update (version 25.20.100.6472), since they are still legacy driver not supported by the new, microsoft store downloadable app, of Intel Graphics CP.

In order to fix this, I had to force somehow a newer version of HD 620 Graphics by using the freeware driver update tool Snappy Driver, and this allowed me to update to the newest drivers 25.20.100.6577. After this, I have managed to disable Panel Self-refresh and also Display power saving technology - which completely fixed my problems (running stable 4 days in a row).

I hope this manages to help others that face the same issues I had.

makritzer
Paper Tape
Views: 603
Message 3 of 7

Re: Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th gen - Latest Intel HD Graphics driver freezes and stutters

Hi,

I also experienced frequent bouts of screen stuttering and freezing with my new X1C6. I disabled panel self-refresh, but still experienced the issue! I tracked the issue down to power profiles. The X1C6 has two power profiles, one when battery powered, and one when plugged-in (charging). Please ensure that you disable panel self-refresh for both profiles! You cannot switch between profiles on the fly, so this must be done manually (#1 disable when plugged-in; #2 disable when on battery power). My laptop has been running superb for over a month now.

I lost a lot of sleep over this issue, so I hope this saves other people the same agony.

Cheers,

Matthew

andreidragomir
Fanfold Paper
Views: 182
Message 4 of 7

Unfortunately, after some months, the issue started to reappear. Another workaround that only solves the issue temporarily (meaning that it exists the freezeout state) is to close/open the notebook lid.

I am very frustrated by this issue, I don't know what else to do. Panel self-refresh is set to disabled on both power profiles (AC and battery), I am also running the latest intel hd drivers version 25.20.100.6519.

If one of Lenovo's staff would be kind enough to post a reply to instruct what to do further would be great. At this moment, I think my only option is to take this laptop to a local authorized service provider and have the issue fixed.

marcus_aurelius
Paper Tape
Views: 91
Message 5 of 7

Just wanted to add my experience. I received my x1 carbon 5/13/19 by mail, ordered from Lenovo online and the next day I had trackpad issues - lagging and pausing on screen as well as my keyboard taking a few seconds to register the keystrokes. The next 2 days I spent searching forums for a fix (reinstall trackpad drivers, synpatics drivers, realtek drivers etc.). I formatted the HD and reinstalled windows 10, drivers, and went through all the vantage updates only for the problem to persist. The only thing that has fixed it for me was turning off "panel self refresh option" in the Intel Graphics Control Panel. So thank you to whoever suggested this. It's been running symptom free for the last few days however today it started up again. I checked the Intel Graphics Control Panel, and the panel self refresh was enabled again. I don't know if there was a Windows update that reset this to this default setting. Anyway, while the computer was having these symptoms again, disabling the "panel self refresh" completely eliminated it.

Anyway, this has fixed it for me (so long as it stays disabled). Hope it helps someone else. I've been enjoying this laptop but the trackpad issues the first couple of days was giving me buyers remorse.

flukke
What's DOS?
Views: 79
Message 6 of 7

Hi!

I have still the same problem.

I cant fint the Graphics control center on my computer, its not visible when right clicking on the desktop..

Any tips on how to fix this?

marcus_aurelius
Paper Tape
Views: 57
Message 7 of 7

Type “intel graphics control panel” in the search bar, right next to the windows “start” on the bottom left of the taskbar. See if it pops up on the search. If it doesn’t, I think you can download it from the Microsoft App Store. Try that and let me know. Hope it works out for you!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors