cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
vwiencek
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-06-2018
Location: FR
Views: 1,574
Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th generation

Hi, 

 

I would like to add a WWAN cart to my thinkpad. I first ordered a Sierra EM7455 with a dedicated antenna. Installation worked fine, but when I restarted the ocmputer I got a "1802 unauthorized network card ...1199/9078"

 

Antenna link https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.tZJXFc&orderId=90686426946259&produ...

 

So I figured out that the Bios has a whitelist for network cards.

 

So my question is simple:

- can I override this BIOS error ? => I guess the answer is no (or at least not simply)

- which card should I buy ?

 

I found this card 

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.6.2.JGVfAL&orderId=91257876926259&produ...

 

This card seems to be listed here

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/fr/fr/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

 

Thsnk you for your help

 

vincent

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Posts: 11,845
Registered: ‎06-06-2011
Location: RU
Views: 1,554
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th generation

Hi

Read this thread
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/T480S-wifi-and-3G-setup/m-p/4008790

The laptop generation as well as the wwan cards usage conditions are the same. The issue is the same either. But the "solution" and result are inexplicable yet.

New wwan card by your link seems Sierra generic card, not Lenovo branded, i.e.has other USB IDs. It means you'll get the same error. But, again... read the thread above.

Regarding the wwan antennas:
as new wwan cards for x1c gen6 (Sierra em7565 in particular) support wider range of LTE bands than em7455 does, "legacy" antennas for x1c en5 might not open up all features of new modems.



x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

vwiencek
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-06-2018
Location: FR
Views: 1,521
Message 3 of 8

Re: Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th generation

Thanks for your answer

 

the thread you mentioned does not give any practical answer

 

is it possible to order compliant WWAN card directly to lenovo ?

psun786
Punch Card
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎03-08-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,516
Message 4 of 8

Re: Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th generation

I am curious. Is there any advantage using build in LTE instead of tether with your cellphone? 

vwiencek
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-06-2018
Location: FR
Views: 1,506
Message 5 of 8

Re: Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th generation

It’s not the point but it’s more convenient ; does not depends on another device battery ....

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Posts: 11,845
Registered: ‎06-06-2011
Location: RU
Views: 1,495
Message 6 of 8

Re: Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th generation

vwiencek wrote:

> the thread you mentioned does not give any practical answer

I agree. The only action which could influence that thread' OP has perfomed is removing wireless cards and reinserting wwan card first, then wlan card.

> is it possible to order compliant WWAN card directly to lenovo ?

presently wwan cards for new ThinkPads aren't available yet in retail store.


psun786 wrote:

> I am curious. Is there any advantage using build in LTE instead of tether with your cellphone?

there is a lot of reasons:
- usually cellular operator's tariffs with Internet sharing features are much more expensive than the one for wwan modem or a tablet with built-in wwan feature. Even more, such tariffs might have a trafic limitation;

- faster smartphone battery drain in case it works for the voice while both LTE and wifi radio work intensively;

- the smartphone should have wifi access point for internet sharing. Busy air environment might not allow to provide stable and fast access for laptop;

 

- laptop's wifi radio might be busy by another task, internal network access;


- new wwan modems support LTE-Advanced features like Carrier Aggregation that allows to reach very high speed up to 1 Gbps (em7565 with Cat16), depending on the operator's network presently and in the nearest future.

 

- etc.

 

Edit: typo



x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

psun786
Punch Card
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎03-08-2018
Location: US
Views: 1,488
Message 7 of 8

Re: Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th generation


@x220forme wrote:

@vwiencek wrote:

> the thread you mentioned does not give any practical answer

I agree. The only action which could influence that thread' OP has perfomed is removing wireless cards and reinserting wwan card first, then wlan card.

> is it possible to order compliant WWAN card directly to lenovo ?

presently wwan cards for new ThinkPads aren't available yet in retail store.


@psun786 wrote:

> I am curious. Is there any advantage using build in LTE instead of tether with your cellphone?

there is a lot of reasons:
- usually cellular operator's tariffs with Internet sharing features are much more expensive than the one for wwan modem or a tablet with built-in wwan feature. Even more, such tariffs might have a trafic limitation;

- faster smartphone battery drain in case it works for the voice while both LTE and wifi radio work intensively;

- the smartphone should have wifi access point for internet sharing. Busy air environment might not allow to provide stable and fast access for laptop;

 

- laptop's wifi radio might be busy by another task, internal network access;


- new wwan modems support LTE-Advanced features like Carrier Aggregation that allows to reach very high speed up to 1 Gbps (em7565 with Cat16), depending on the operator's network presently and in the nearest future.

 

- etc.

 

Edit: typo


Thank you. exactly what I was looking for.

vwiencek
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-06-2018
Location: FR
Views: 1,109
Message 8 of 8

Re: Thinkpad x1 carbon 6th generation

Hello

 

Did anyone know if it's possible to order a wwan card working with 6th generation x1 carbon ?

 

Thx

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors