Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cloudberry
Paper Tape
Views: 3,199
Message 1 of 19

Thinkpad x1 extreme, sluggish performance

Just got a new x1 extreme, with a new usb-c dock and a thinkvision 4k screen. Also got a new keyboard and mouse from Lenovo.

The performance is extremely sluggish out of the box. Just opening browsers you can litteraly see the linces get drawn up on screen, very slow responce. I tried installing new drivers on the dock, and firmware. Also installed nvidia experience and updated the driver there, ran all windows updates too. Still same very bad performance.

The keyboard and mouse was so bad im just going to trow it away..

Other than that the x1 looks extremely good, and feels really premium, the thinkvision screen looks awesome as well.

i guess im going tro try and install a few games next, too see if it is the gfx card making the problems. I did not try updating the intel gfx card, but i guess windows update should do this?

anyone got any ideas?

best regards

Molteberg

cloudberry
Paper Tape
Views: 3,156
Message 2 of 19

Re: Thinkpad x1 extreme, sluggish performance

So i took the laptop home, installed a few games. works great, tried portal II in 1080p and borderlands II. Just default quality, loads fast and pushes out good fps. So seems my problem is maybe related to the dock. At home, by itself the laptop is amazing.

The fans didnt eve turn on, and that was with 5 minutes of portal. They got a tad loud when i tried borderlands. Guess i will have to try and look into the dock, for my performance issues at work.

Gonna try installing sketchup and v-ray now for some modeling and rendering Smiley Happy

The overall quality on the device is just amazing, great design, amazing keayboard and trackpad. best i`ve ever tried, never played with no macs though.

juancdc
Punch Card
Views: 3,142
Message 3 of 19

I want to buy this laptop but it is very expensive and I have to make sure it is worth it. Do you recommend it?

cloudberry
Paper Tape
Views: 3,085
Message 4 of 19

Ive only used it for a day, but its the best laptop ive tried before hands down. The price however.. If i can get my problems sorted out at work, its the best 15" i  can ask for, i wouldt buy it for myself though, just wouldt be able to affor it Smiley Happy

apstls
What's DOS?
Views: 2,847
Message 5 of 19

I use Ubuntu on mine, but I was seeing the same sluggish performance after a fresh install and fixing some common issues people have been experiencing. Moving windows, changing workspaces, and even the animations when enlarging a window all seemed somewhat choppy compared to my old mac.

What fixed it was setting the cpu freq governor to "performance" from "powersave" using cpupower. Right after doing so the freq on my cores went from ~900Mhz to 4+ Ghz (with AC power) and the performance issues disappeared. It may be worth poking around the related BIOS settings as well, though the defaults seemed sane for me.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,806
Message 6 of 19

Dear customer,

>So seems my problem is maybe related to the dock. 

In case you had not attached the AC adapter shipped with ThinkPad X1 Extreme to the system while you attach the USB-C Dock and charging the system by USB-C Dock, the system runs the same mode as Battery.

I recommend you to attach AC adaptors to both ThinkPad X1 Extreme and USB-C Dock.

AC Adapter shipped with USB-C Dock is 90W adapter which cannot provide sufficient power to the ThinkPad X1 Extreme system.

cloudberry
Paper Tape
Views: 2,800
Message 7 of 19

I have connected both adapters, the "screen" is still slow, draws up the elements on screen with a delay. Dont get me wrong, the computer is fast. The performance is lagging though, when connected to the dock/4k screen.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,793
Message 8 of 19

Dear customer,

How do you configure your system's graphics at office, do you use both LCD and 4K monitor via Dock in Extended mode or use only 4K monitor via Dock (i.e. close the LCD)?  

cloudberry
Paper Tape
Views: 2,777
Message 9 of 19

I close the lid on my laptop usually, and just use the 4k screen. I use the hdmi cable that came with the screen/dock. I have also tried the displayport cable.

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,772
Message 10 of 19

Dear customer,

I'm sorry for frequent questions, but can I know your ThinkPad X1 Extreme Machine Type Model (but no need Serial Number) and ThinkVision 4 K Monitor Machine Type Model in order to duplicate your symptom here?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors