Screen: 60e2gat1eu

Dock:    40af0135eu

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,116
Message 12 of 19

Re: Thinkpad x1 extreme, sluggish performance

Dear customer,

I received the quick update from development team that they observed the significant performance degradation with ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C Dock compared with system HDMI port.

On the other hand, they also found performance degradation rate was reduced when changing BIOS Setup's Graphics Device settings from "Hybrid Graphics" to "Discrete Graphics".  Until the development team will find the solution, I'd like customer to change the BIOS Setup -> Display -> Graphics Device as "Discrete Graphics" temporally.

cloudberry
Paper Tape
Views: 1,110
Message 13 of 19

Ok, thank you.

I will try this as a temporary solution.
SD_Colorado
SCSI Port
Views: 1,094
Message 14 of 19

I am assuming that this "temporary" solution will have a significant impact on battery life when not docked though?

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,053
Message 15 of 19

Dear customer,

I'm sure this is temporaly solution.

So far we don't know what would be the final solution to improve the Gfx performance yet.

cloudberry
Paper Tape
Views: 761
Message 16 of 19

Yes it does, and its not a good solution. It dosent affect the performance at all. At least not that i can notice, maybe if you messaure it somehow. Performance on extermnal 4k monitor is still sluggish.. I get better performance in Sketchup on my old w530.. From 2012!!!

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 448
Message 17 of 19

Dear customer,

Sorry for long waiting.  First, I need to appologize that we cannot provide the solution to you.

I'd like you to continue using discrete Gfx mode on BIOS to use external monitor via Hybrid USB-C Dock.

After development team investigated the issue, they concluded the this behavior is design limitation of the "DisplayLink USB Graphichs driver" which is used on ThinkPad USB3.0 Basic/Pro/Ultra Dock and Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock series.

When external display is connected through Hybrid USB-C dock, DisplayLink graphics driver is running to display grahics contents through USB3.0 bus but doesn't use DisplayPort signal on the USB-C port. Then, DisplayLink cannot recognize the nVIDIA Graphics device so that DisplayLink only uses Intel Grafphics device for all graphics contents.

When Discrete Graphics mode on BIOS, DisplayLink recognizes nVIDIA as primary graphics device so that Hybrid USB-C can shows higher perfromance graphics.

When user connect external display directly to USB-C/Thunderbolt port, moitor can use DisplayPort graphics feature and utilize full H/W graphics ability.

Keep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 249
Message 18 of 19

@cloudberry might also check refresh rate settings for your external monitor. On my x1y3 on first time external monitor connect it wasn't 60hz but 40hz or 30hz, so I had to change it up. Your values might be different.

cloudberry
Paper Tape
Views: 198
Message 19 of 19

Hello, thanks for the tip, but mine is set @60hz. Just checked it

To make matters worse, the dockingstation is freezing from time to time. So screen on external monitor freezes, internet is lost etc. I then have to open laptop lid to keep working, and save my stuff. Laptop does not freeze, only external monitor and docking station.

Then turn everything off, and it works again after that.. Extremely annoying, as this was very expensive for our company. We are only 2 people working in the office, and we both bought the same setup, have same problems too.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors