Message 21 of 37

Re: Thinkpad x1 extreme, sluggish performance

Only if you are NOT going to use a dockingstation
LeinadDK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,963
Message 22 of 37

Btw. Discrete Graphics fix will not change dock crash/lock problem. Total unusable for business use this laptop. 

mnylen
Punch Card
Views: 5,320
Message 23 of 37

@Rydeen after following this tip of yours to change from "Hybrid graphics" mode to "Discrete only" (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-x1-extreme-sluggish-performance/td-p...), I can only see a black screen after booting. Nothing at all except backlight. I've tried with AC connected, without it, with external monitor connected (through a dock, directly to usb-c, directly to hdmi), but no picture shows up. I even tried entering setup and navigating it in the dark, but either I didn't get the combination of key presses right or the setup isn't loading (which might be, because the fans start spinning quite heavily, which indicates windows being loaded...)

cloudberry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,182
Message 24 of 37

We have disconnected the dock, and now only use usb-c from the laptop to the screen. We had to buy 2x rj-45 adapters/usb network cards. And 2 new usb hubs to get it all working. We are going to return/get a refund for the docking stations.

fenixen
Serial Port
Views: 5,149
Message 25 of 37

Another thread says bios turns black after setting graphics to discreete in bios.

What are the downsides of setting it to discreete?
sk50
Paper Tape
Views: 4,673
Message 26 of 37

@apstls - you mention you installed Ubuntu on X1 Extreme. Obviously, you did npt have the "bricking" experience mentioned in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-Extreme-Black-Screen-Help/m-p/430...

How did you get around the requirment to switch hybrid graphics display adapter to discrete? Or di you do that at some other place rather than in the BIOS?

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 4,509
Message 27 of 37

Dear customers,

regarding to the POST hang issue when swithcing Grphics mode from Hybrid to Discrete, development team identified the root cause and preparing the solution by BIOS #35(v1.17). It will be available by next Monday.

However, I'm sorry we couldn't find the way to recover the system by customers so that customers still need to contact Lenovo service to repair the planar.

Users who want to use discrete graphics, please update this BIOS #35(v1.17) first, then switched to discrete.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,993
Message 28 of 37

I glanced at the replies and surprisingly didn't see anyone telling you the real problem, which is that you're using the wrong dock. You need to use Thunderbolt 3 dock, not USB-C:  https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/top-tech/Thunderbolt-230W-dock-US/p/40AN0230US

Then, your video connections will pass through and be driven by your laptop's GPU(s). Using a USB-C dock, I think it can pass through the DP signal, but in your case it must not be. If you have a DisplayLink device show up that drives your video, then you're relying on the under powered video chipset in the dock itself to drive your displays, and this only works for low resolution, basic computer work like word processors and such. Even with DisplayLink's latest and greatest, you're going to have issues playing videos or 3D content on a single QHD or dual 1080p displays.

I use a Yoga 720 with this lower-powered TB3 dock https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-thunderbolt/Thun.... I use dual QHD Dell monitors plugged into DP and it works great. You could even drive 3 monitors if you wanted to daisy-chain a pair of monitors (I tested this and the IntelHD chip limits you to 3 displays total, even though I could hook up 5 external monitors, haha). Zero lag, and my Yoga 720 only does 20gbps over TB3, while your X1E does 40gbps.

snake2332
Token Ring
Views: 2,990
Message 29 of 37

@fenixen wrote:
Another thread says bios turns black after setting graphics to discreete in bios.

What are the downsides of setting it to discreete?

Biggest downside is battery life. Discrete means you're using the NVIDIA chip for everything instead of the IntelHD chip built into the CPU. The NVIDIA chip uses a lot more power. Based on older devices with this NVIDIA Optimus/Hybrid setup (Yoga720, W541, W530, W520), using "discrete" reduces battery life by around 1/3rd. My Yoga would do 4 hours instead of 6. My W530 would do 2 hours instead of 3. I would expect the X1E to be similar, or maybe even worse since the GTX1050ti can use 70 watts, which is a lot.

cloudberry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,943
Message 30 of 37

Ok, thats strange. It was Lenovo who sold us the docks included with the laptop. We have since stopped using the docks, and bought a 10$ usb hub. The support from Lenovo is horrible, couple of weeks ago i was on the phone for probably one hour before they said that i had to call someone else, then they said i cant return the dock because ive had it for too long.

They said i had to prove that it didnt work first.

First and last time im buing anything from crap company. Spent thousends of dollars and the help is non existent. Horrible..

We are a company with three people, i cant spend hours and days with stuff like this!!

Probably just gonna trow the docks in the bin..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors