Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rich215
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,476
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad x201 GPS problems

Hello all......I have been reading many posts about using a gobi 2000 on the x201 laptops.  I got one installed on my x201 and though it is recognised in the device manager with no issues.....I can not get a GPS signal to use with Windows 10 maps. 

I am running Win10 32bit   10586.545

Gobi 2000 HS-9205   #3263

I have no need to use the 3g data and do not have a sim card installed.  Will the GPS work without an active sim card?

I have installed a few Lenovo updates like, thinkvantage GPS and thinkvantage access connectons. Also used the lenovo solution center to update and have no hardware errors shown. 

On issue is that I can not turn on location toggle as it is grayed out in the Settings/System/Notifications & Actions/"turn system icons on or off" area.   The location is the only one grayed out and I do have location turned on elsewhere and Maps shows the location icon in the task bar when running. 

I appreciate any help, thanks. 

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 2,462
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad x201 GPS problems

First off, start by checking to see if you have any mention of a GPS device in Device Manager, most likely as a serial port.

My experience with Gobi 2000 driver packages is that they are often configured not to install the GPS support. I did get it working on an old Dell with a Gobi 2000; I had to run Dell's .exe installer, root around in the temporary folders to find the MSI that had been extracted and make a copy of that MSI. Once I had the MSI, I had to uninstall everything Gobi related from the program uninstaller and Device Manager, then:

msiexec /i "<full path>\GobiInstaller.msi" GPS=1 DEFAULTIMAGE=6

and follow the installation process through to completion. DEFAULTIMAGE=6 chooses the default configuration; in my case GSM/UMTS/HSPA on European bands. I can't remember the values for this option and you might not need it anyway. GPS=1 is the crucial part.

Once you have some sort of GPS support showing in Device Manager, hopefully all will work though, from memory, the Gobi 2000 isn't the fastest device to get a first fix. It is rather an elderly device now; it's been around something like five years.

If you have a GPS serial port but no support for GPS as a sensor, try GPS Direct.

Rich215
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,441
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the info.....but your instructions are a bit over my head to exacute. 

Is there a better GPS module I can get for the x201 than the gobi 2000........like a gobi 3000 or other?  I do not need a mobile data connection....just GPS for maping when on some trips. 

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 2,429
Message 4 of 10

Start by looking in Device Manager to see if there's any mention of GPS under "Ports (COM & LPT)". You can start Device Manager using Win+R. Type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) into the dialog, then click OK.

My personal belief is that it is easier to use a smartphone for mapping. If you use Android, I can recommend Ultra GPS Logger, though you might get away with a simpler program.

If you need to get GPS data to your laptop and you have Bluetooth on your X201, you can use a Bluetooth GPS receiver with GPS Direct. You'll need to pair the GPS receiver with Windows, then use the Bluetooth serial port you created (look in Device Manager for COM port number). If you use Android, there are various apps that allow you to use the phone's GPS over Bluetooth - I use Bluetooth GPS Output, though other options are available.

Rich215
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,421
Message 5 of 10

Ok....just getting back home and getting some time.......

In Dev Man.... I see the gobi in modems and also 2 in the ports listing as Diagnostics 9205  (COM3) and NMEA9205 (COM6).

I the wireless portion looks active....at atleast no problems as it can see various providers towers and shows signal strength.  But I do not have a sim card in at all. 

My other question is about the 3 available wires prior to install of gobi card.  The red and blue are connected as needed, but there was also a black wire.....and I had wondered if this was a internal GPS antenna wire? 

I have installed several things from Lenovo (ThinkVantage GPS g1gp20ww) and from qualcomm.....(Qualcomm gobi 2000 Package for Lenovo). 

Rich215
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,420
Message 6 of 10

Oh....yes I can use my android phone for basic gps use....i just hate looking at a small 5.5 inch screen for gps in a car....by myself. So the thought of having this 12 inch laptop with Microsoft offline maps and a gps receiver.....are my intent.

I would like a bigger screen to navigate with. I use this laptop totally offline as it is a work machine with sensitive data.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 2,412
Message 7 of 10

WWAN cards with a GPS use the WWAN antennas. In Lenovo machines, the WWAN antenna cables are red and blue in my experience. WLAN antenna cables are gray and black. It's possible that the WLAN card is an older type that only uses one antenna, or one of your WLAN antenna cables has fallen off.

It's a good sign that you have a COM port for the NMEA (GPS) function of the WWAN card. It would be worth opening that in a terminal emulator to see if you see NMEA output (lines beginning $GP). I use Vandyke SecureCRT for this sort of task, but that's an expensive commercial program. I believe the free TeraTerm should be more than adequate (though this recommendation is made purely based on the web site; I haven't use the software personally). Normally, you open an NMEA serial port at 4800 8-N-1 (8 bits, no parity, one stop bit), though I have a feeling that the Gobi 2000 is not too fussed about speed.

If you get reasonable looking output from the COM6 port, all you likely need for full GPS functionality in Windows is to install GPS Direct using the settings you verified in TeraTerm.

Rich215
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,410
Message 8 of 10

Ok....just ran the ThinkVantage GPS program.   I do have locks on 6-8 sats.....issue is with the microsoft maps.....or Win10 it seems.  

I was hoping to run offline maps with a gps reciever and not data connected.....like I can do on my android phone with google maps and then being able to navigate offline after route is set. 

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 2,405
Message 9 of 10

The GPS Direct software I've mentioned several times during this thread is the missing link. Software such as Microsoft Maps and Maps Pro uses the Windows sensor API and will not work directly with an NMEA GPS. GPS Direct creates a GPS sensor on your machine using your NMEA GPS to provide the location. There is a license fee involved, though it's only EUR 9.99 by PayPal - the link to pay is on the Download page of the web site.

Rich215
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,396
Message 10 of 10

Many many many thanks to you David !!!   8-)      GPS Direct was the key to make my MSFT offline maps function with the Gobi 2000.   I get a pretty quick lock on 5- 7 sats indoors within 30 seconds or so.   I am super happy I can make this work now.   If you were in USA....I would buy you a pint or two.....haaaa     Very much appreciate your help and techinal abilities with this situation.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors