cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jahneii
Paper Tape
Views: 261
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad x230 screen turns black then sleeps when external keyboard is plugged in

Hi, I'm new here. I have a x230 Thinkpad whose keyboard is no longer working completely (some letters, arrow keys, and the space bar) after liquid was spilt on it. Now, we purchased an external keyboard and initially, it had worked well. Some time later tho, the built-in mousepad started to lag (sharing the same fate with the above dysfunctioning keys), so we bought a wireless mouse, too. When these two are used together, the external keyboard fails to work. Then, when only the external keyboard is plugged in (bec the mousepad works), as I press any letter/key, the monitor turns black and the laptop goes into sleep mode in no time. When I press the power button to unhibernate, the screen goes back to normal, until I press any key again on the external keyboard that it goes black and sleeps again. It's soo frustrating esp. when I need to type in MS Word. I tried to search for any troubleshooting for this but can't find any in any thread. The only thing that helps now is the on-screen keyboard, yet it's time consuming and distressing esp. when I need to meet a deadline. I hope someone can help me with this. Thank you in advance.

Jane

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 242
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad x230 screen turns black then sleeps when external keyboard is plugged in

Hi,

Sounds like liquid splitting on laptop's keyboard lead to short circuit that any input signal from physical keyboard, including the external one, wrongly redirect as the power button and make Windows go into hibernation.

Try to totally dismantle the laptop keyboard out and test if the external keyboard works. If it works, and your laptop connected with a docking that have power button on it, you can keep working with this setting. If not, you probably need to replace a new laptop internal keyboard.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"
Jahneii
Paper Tape
Views: 226
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad x230 screen turns black then sleeps when external keyboard is plugged in

Thanks for the suggestion! Will try it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors