Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IcePrincess
Paper Tape
Views: 4,535
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad x240 - Fn, Mute and Microphone keys are lit up, TP is not turning on

Hi, Team.

It has been 24-hrs since I found out my thinkpad is not turning on.

I have used this last Saturday afternoon and shut down completely.

I never ever put my TP into sleep mode or hibernate mode.

When I woke up yesterday, 11am I found out that the Fn, Mute and Microphone keys are lit up. The fan is not working (the entire system is off). The temperature of the laptop is normal, not warm or heating up like it is being used.

I have removed the external battery and power adapter, pushed the power button for more than 3mins., put back the battery and plugged the power adapter (the power button blinks when I plug the power adapter as it usually does when) and pushed the power button back - nothing happens.

The Fn, Mute and Microphone buttons are still lit up and the TP is not turning on.

I haven't pushed the emergency reset button at the back (I fear that I might lose all my files).

Up until now, the same 3-keys are lit up.

I need help as soon as possible.

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 4,495
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad x240 - Fn, Mute and Microphone keys are lit up, TP is not turning on

reset button on the back does not effect the hard drive only cuts off the internal battery and making laptop completely empty from power thats what button does or something like that,

About other issue of yours it could be 1. Bios firmware has hung itself causing it to act same state all time so only option is to open laptop and disconnect CMOS AKA BIOS battery from motherboard and leave it for like 15 mins then re-connect it and see if it's still causing mute and fn button to remain on, if not connect other batterys and AC adapter and press the power on hopefully it powers on as normal again since some times BIOS can hang itself which means laptop is completely dead untill you kill bios firmware completely.

IcePrincess
Paper Tape
Views: 4,489
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad x240 - Fn, Mute and Microphone keys are lit up, TP is not turning on

great. thank you! the emergency rest button did the trick. it really helped. my TP is up and running.
will have our IT guy check my laptop soon. i appreciate all the help.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors