cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ivanyap
Paper Tape
Views: 2,035
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad x260 windows 7 or update to windows 10?

Hi , 

i recently bought a x260 that is preloaded with win 7 pro. The salesperson discourage me from updating to win 10, saying that  the thinkpad will run slower. Anyone has experience with win 10 running on x260

LongtimeIBMUser
Paper Tape
Views: 1,470
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad x260 windows 7 or update to windows 10?

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE !!!

1. Lenovo's printed materials inside X260 box says my X260 is eligible for an upgrade to Win10Pro(64)

2. Lenovo's website confirms that my serial number is eligible for an upgrade to Win10Pro(64)

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovorecovery?login=1

3. Followed Lenovo's instructions for downloading & installing USBRecoveryCreator.exe

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653

4. Successfully registered for Lenovo ID and password and placed order for digital download of Win10Pro(64) through Lenovo's website

5. Used USBRecoveryCreator.exe to download Win10Pro(64) and install recovery files on USB thumbdrive

6. Rebooted X260 with newly created Recovery USB, followed directions, agreed to destroy all data on existing SSD.

7. Recovery process failed.  No explanation.  No option for help. No failure code.  Nothing.

8. System now not bootable, no recoverable.

LongtimeIBMUser
Paper Tape
Views: 1,467
Message 3 of 9

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE - PART 2  !!!

9. Called Lenovo Support at 800-426-7378 to seek help. (Service Request # 405QRV9)

10. I was told the following by Lenovo Support:

• Only thing Lenovo can do is send me DVD media of Win7Pro(64) {of course, the X260 does not have a CD/DVD reader}
  • X260 is not eligible for a free upgrade to Win10Pro(64), and therefore they could not send me Win10Pro(64)
  • Paper flyer inside the box stating that the machine is Licensed for Win10Pro(64) and downgraded to Win7 actually means that the machine is compatible with Win10Pro(64), but this does not entitle user to an upgrade.
  • Even though Lenovo recovery media webste serial number check confirmed that the machine is Licensed for Win10Pro(64), the machine is not eligible for a free upgrade and that the Lenovo Website is incorrect.
  • The downloadable Win7, Win8, Win10 Recovery Files located at the Lenovo Recovery website are corrupted, and the Lenovo engineers have been unable to fix this.  Therefore, users should not rely on these files.
  • The only way for me to acquire Win10Pro(64) is to purchase it via Microsoft.

LongtimeIBMUser
Paper Tape
Views: 1,465
Message 4 of 9

I've been buying IBM/Lenovo systems for over 20yrs.  I've never, ever experienced anything as bad as this through this company.  What has happened?

Ivanyap
Paper Tape
Views: 1,460
Message 5 of 9

thanks for sharing your experience. I have been using the x260 with windows 7 for the past 1.5 years and have been quite happy with windows 7 .. maybe u can just reinstall windows 7 on your x260
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,440
Message 6 of 9

Look on the BIOS screen.  There is a line that says preinstalled software license.  It will say something with "WIN" at the end.  That means you have a win10 license loaded in the BIOS.  Create a windows 10 install usb stick here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When it asks for a key, take the option that says you don't have one.  When you get to the screen that asks if you want to keep files, etc. choose "custom install"..  It will ask what partition you want to use.  Delete all the existing partitions so it says the whole disk is unallocated.  Install onto the empty disk.  When it is done, get "Lenovo Vantage" from the windows store.  Let it update the Lenovo applications.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
LongtimeIBMUser
Paper Tape
Views: 1,432
Message 7 of 9

@richkwrote:

Look on the BIOS screen.  There is a line that says preinstalled software license.  It will say something with "WIN" at the end.  That means you have a win10 license loaded in the BIOS.  Create a windows 10 install usb stick here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When it asks for a key, take the option that says you don't have one.  When you get to the screen that asks if you want to keep files, etc. choose "custom install"..  It will ask what partition you want to use.  Delete all the existing partitions so it says the whole disk is unallocated.  Install onto the empty disk.  When it is done, get "Lenovo Vantage" from the windows store.  Let it update the Lenovo applications.

Thank you.  I am downloading now via the MS site.  Will let you know how this goes.

FYI, confirmed in bios that I have the Win10 license.

LongtimeIBMUser
Paper Tape
Views: 1,413
Message 8 of 9

Worked flawlessly.   Thanks again.

Note: I never came saw a request for a key (take the option that says you don't have one).  So, this was the only thing that was different from the process you described above.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,400
Message 9 of 9

All I can say is that it asks about a key sometimes.  I never figured out the pattern.  I'm, glad it worked for you.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors