Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natbgsy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 804
Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad x270 clear TPM

Hi I am hoping others have experienced the same issue. 

I have a brand new x270 running windows 7 64bit. I have installed Sophos encryption which uses bitlocker. When I tried to encrypt the SSD a message popped up and said TPM was not available. I rebooted the system and checked the TPM version in the BIOS it was set to 2.0 so changed to 1.2, logged back into windows and the encryption completed successfully. 

However the problem i now have is every time i boot up i am asked to to provide the retrieval codes to get back into Windows. I believe the issue is with the TPM chip holding the first attempt in its memory. How do I clear it though?? From within bitlocker management in control panel I can clear tpm but it asks for a password. I have never supplied one !!!!. 

If i reboot the laptop and again check the settings in the BIOS there is an option to Clear TPM with the option "Enter" but when selected it appears not to do anything. Has anyone had this issue or know how to get around it please. At the monent I have had to suspend bitlocker until resolved.

Thanks in advance

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 753
Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad x270 clear TPM

The "clear TPM" option in BIOS setup doesn't give any confirmation, it just clears the TPM.  Instead, I think your problem is that you haven't taken ownership of the TPM.  Windows 7 doesn't do this automatically, you have to do it yourself.  Run tpm.msc and click on the option to initialize the TPM.  After this, you may also need to suspend/resume BitLocker.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors