cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SB18
Paper Tape
Views: 73
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad x270 fails to boot. SSD failure?

Hi,

My 6-mo old x270 suddenly would not book passed bios stage. It was functioning perfectly, it is reasonably new, and under warranty. Here's what's happening (I compiled all the screenshots into one file):

If I boot it, I end up in a Windows Boot Manager, that looks like this: see attached "Image 1"

Nothing happens from there. "Image 2" shows the message right before the computer enters the Boot Manager.

"Image 3" is the screenshot of my Bios "Startup" settings. I messed around with settings, but nothing helped. "Image 4"

I then ran all the diagnostics tests. They were all ok except for the harddrive. That test says: "Smart short self-test: FAILED." This is in "Image 5".

Please advise me what to do, whether I can try anything else, or whether I need to contact Lenovo or a retailer. I believe the computer is under warranty. This is, of course, very frustrating to have this happen to a new, expensive computer - shakes my faith in Thinkpads a bit, to be honest. I hope I'm missing something though... Thank you.

vegan-fanatic
Token Ring
Views: 51
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad x270 fails to boot. SSD failure?

find a hard disk in the junk box and install it and see if that posts, if it does ask Lenovo for a new SSD

i have a USB cable for SATA so I can check if a device is functioning properly and to be able to recover files

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional
SB18
Paper Tape
Views: 32
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad x270 fails to boot. SSD failure?

Unfortunately, I do not have a spare SATA, not with pre-installed windows and booting capacity, lying around to test this...

Top Kudoed Authors