10-01-2018

US

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 1 of 2

Thinkpad x270 will not boot - beep code and blank display

2018-10-01, 20:15 PM

I have had my current Thinkpad x270 for just over a year now, and recently encountered several issues with random shutdowns and freezes, culminating in a total failure to boot that I encountered just last week.

All of this appeared to start after a random freeze and crash that occured while my father was carrying the laptop around one-handed, which I presume is related to the issue I have seen mentioned in the forums about the death-zone on the left-hand palm rest area that causes issues when pressure is exerted. I wasn't there at the time so I am unsure of the exact original symptoms.

Since then, I have encountered several cases of random shutdown mid-way into the boot process, which seems to be correlated to typing on the keyboard (I assume that putting pressure on the internals is the culprit here, but I am not too clear on the details).

Aside from a keyboard replacement a number of months ago, the internals have been untouched up until this current problem manifested.

The nature of the current problem is as follows:

1. Laptop is powered off

2. Power button is pressed

3. Power button LED lights up green

4. Screen remains dark

5. Computer produces a specific pattern of beeps (2 overlapping tones (HIGH into LOW), followed by MID-LOW-LOW-MID pitch)

The pattern of tones is repeated several times upon pressing any of the following key combinations:

- Fn + Esc (FnLock)

- Fn + Spacebark (Backlight)

The power button indicator remains lit until it is held down for several seconds or the hard-off hole is activated.

So far I have been unable to figure out what POST code this sound pattern corresponds to, if it is indeed POST; I assume that it is, as the boot process doesn't even make it to BIOS.

If the information I have provided so far is insufficient to diagnose the issue, I am happy to provide further details. If anyone knows what is the issue I am experiencing is caused by, or how to troubleshoot or solve it, any help is greatly appreciated. For now I have switched to a backup laptop so I have something to work with on the go, but its battery life and touchpad are a downgrade from the x270, not to mention the fact that I haven't gotten my old files and software transferred over yet.

Options

7963 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77040 Signins

2174663 Page Views

• Views: 2174663
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Thinkpad x270 will not boot - beep code and blank display

2018-10-01, 20:36 PM

Hello and welcome,

I can't speak to your specific issue but this may help with diagnosis:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds118615

I just stumbled across this myself a couple of days ago. Put the app on my Android phone and let it listen to the "song" a T580 was playing.  It provided an instant indiction of what the tones meant.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete