Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User88888888
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,671
Message 1 of 5

Thoughts on the X-Series Thinkpad X270 and the X280

Hello all,

Long time thinkpad user from the W700 time haha.

Just wanted to drop a line after recently getting a thinkpad x270 instead of the x280. I got a little worried with the design philosophy of the thinkpad x270 --> x280 lineage. 

I got the x270 because of the bigger removable battery capacity along with the ethernet port among other ports. 

I welcome the usb-c port in the x270 and glad to see more of that in the x280.

But the fact that the x280 does not have an ethernet port along with a non-removable battery with the option to add the huge super cylindrical battery was a deal breaker for me and I see that the x280 was a step backwards in terms of a design / functionality standpoint from the x270.

I am just getting a little bit worried about the design team and their vision for what the x2## series have in the future. The x280 seems to be just a cheaper version of the x1 carbon. 

I have the x1 carbon btw lol. Got a few thinkpads... and I like the design for the x1 carbon and i think that to remain as it is...for the thinkpad x1 carbon. I dont want that spilling over into the x2## series. That is supposed to be a pure work horse mobile productivity device. 

Anyway what do you guys all think about the direction which the x280 is taking from the x270 which I thought (referencing to the x270) was a pure great work horse laptop with an AMAZING battery life which is absolutely CRITICAL to the x200 line of thinkpad and really disappointed to see that dropped with the x280. Worried about the future of this line.

Sorry if this was just unorganized thoughts but I like thinkpads and just wanted to express thoughts so as to maybe there are people that see it and agree...or disagree haha. 

What are all your thoughts??

GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 4,625
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thoughts on the X-Series Thinkpad X270 and the X280

I just bought a top-of-the-line X280. My X220 was a middle-of-the-road model that just died. I admit that I did not really look at the X270 and compare it to the X280 before my purchase. I was really getting disappointed with the speed on my X220 before it died. Scrolling long web pages was really getting cumbersome, and boot up times were nothing to write home about.

I really like the X2xx form factor, but the things that matter most to me are a quality display (IPS) and speed. I am willing to sacrifice the battery being internal to the machine and the ethernet port I can live without (but I can buy the adapter cable if need ethernet support in the future).

The thing I miss most compared to my X220 is the larger keyboard of the X220 over the X280. The keyboard feel is ok for me, but the key spacing I am still getting used to. I also miss being able to use the Ultrabase Series 3 dock, but that is not so big an issue these days.

I really like the thinness of the X280 compared to my X220. Overall, I am quite pleased so far. I am getting used to Windows 10 (vs. Windows 7), but it's not so bad I guess.

User88888888
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,622
Message 3 of 5

I see. Thank you for your response.

Question though, why did you not just get thinkpad x1 carbon then?

GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 4,615
Message 4 of 5

Perhaps I should have. It would only have been about $110 more for a simularly equiped X1 model. To be honest, I really did not look at the X1 Carbon before buying the X280. It was the sudden demise of my X220 that got me looking at what was available to replace it with. I really haven't been following ThinkPad models in recent years. Anyway for my needs, the smaller display is fine. I do like portability.

BTW, I bought a pre-configured X280 from PC Nation. FWIW, I prefer a model where I can see the specs in the tabook or psref over a CTO model. Maybe I'm crazy.

Tzetz
Punch Card
Views: 1,542
Message 5 of 5

A non-removable battery is another cardinal change for bad, similar to the step-off from the classic, cool and easily-serviceable concept used until x230. 

Under the "thin-and-light" slogan they implemented an in-favour-of-the-service design with less and less self-aided interventions possible. 

Now this has extended further - after a couple of years using x280 one will have to pay a cosmic fee to continue using it on a battery or simply trash it and buy a new one for the same new-goods-cosmic-price.

Another missile aimed at your pocket. That what the non-removable battery is. I stopped being intereseted thinkpads newer than x230.

I believe that both x230 and x220 are fabulous machines, the build materials of the x220 are even better. So if you change thermal paste upon certain time, and use SSD and 8 RAM these machines can run coll and fast for many many years...

This is my humble opinion...

P.P. I have a working x60 at home, bought second-hand in 2006. It has been poured with coffee, earth from a flower pot, falling upon it while working, it has been washed from the sugar-sticky coffee under the water tap and it runs as a charm. If any owner of x280 can write after 13 years that his thinkpad runs, that will be a miracle!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors