Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awasilenko
What's DOS?
Views: 347
Message 1 of 3

Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 with X1 Carbon Gen 5

So I have an X1 Carbon Gen 5 (Kaby Lake) and the Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 1 (40AC0135US). I bought two 4k monitors and after several frustrating hours figured out that the Gen 1 dock can't output 4k on two externail monitors at 60hz, this appears to be a dock limitaion only.

I see that you now have a Gen 2 dock (40AN0135US) that says it will do 2x 4k @ 60hz, only problem is that every compatability cross refrence I can find does not say the gen 5 X1 Carbon supports this new dock. I don't see a good reason for it not to be compatiable, but wanted to find out for sure one way or the other before I bought it, as it is not cheap. 

Highlighted
ansible212
Punch Card
Views: 229
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 with X1 Carbon Gen 5

Compatibility between the Thunderbolt 3 Dock (gen 1) and the X1 Gen 5 is no longer listed in the OCM spreadsheet and it no longer appears when you use the Docking Station Finder, however the gen 1 product page still lists it as compatible with the X1 Gen 5.

Therefore, I wouldn't necessarily read anything into the absence of compatibility between the gen 2 variant and the X1 Gen 5 unless Lenovo are hiding something...

awasilenko
What's DOS?
Views: 220
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 with X1 Carbon Gen 5

Hello ansible212, 

You're reply generated an email, and as I had forgotten about this conversation, I figured I should update it with the latest.

I ended up getting the thunderbolt graphics dock when it was on a fire sale, it also was not listed as compatible. After installing some drivers the dock works mostly, but it seems to be unable to properly exit sleep mode, so now I have to unplug the thunderbolt dock and turn on and boot laptop to windows, then reconnect dock. A medium inconvenience but good enough for me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors