Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Salamander1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,079
Message 1 of 3

Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock with x1 yoga 1st

I have a thinkpad x1 yoga 1st signature edition. I don't have a usb-c port in my laptop. How can I connect the thunderbolt3 cable to my laptop?

I tried a usb to usb-c cable, and also an hdmi to usb-c adabtor, and my laptop can't recognize the dock either of those ways...

Moderator edit: Matched Subject to content.

nekooken
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,070
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock with X16C

I believe you need a thunderbolt 3 enabled device for it to work at all. 

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 1,043
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock with x1 yoga 1st

You will not be able to use the Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock with the 1st generation X1 Yoga. The first generation X1 Yoga does not have a USB Type-C port, nor a Thunderbolt 3 (TB3) controller. 

You cannot change the adapter/cable type and hope it will work. As far as I know, there are no ports you could turn into a TB3 port.

It only works the other way around, so you can convert the TB3 port of a computer into other ports. The adapters you mentioned in your post could be used the other way around, converting the TB3 port of a computer to something else. They cannot be used in the opposite direction!

In order to use Thunderbolt 3 devices, the computer needs to have:

• Thunderbolt 3 controller
  • USB Type-C port connected to that controller

This means that those computers that have USB Type-C ports, but they are not Thunderbolt 3 compatible will not work either. For example the Legion Y520 or the Miix 510 both have USB Type-C ports, but miss the Thunderbolt 3 controller: they cannot use Thunderbolt 3 devices.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors