Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GortiZ6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,199
Message 1 of 8

Thunderbolt 3 dock & Yoga X1 3rd gen

Hello all,

I bought a Yoga X1 2018 and during the shop they suggest the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock. Since I thought that having to disconnect only one cable when bringin the laptop from the desk to the meeting room would have been useful, I bought it.

With my disappointment I setup everything and I did some tests on the laptop just to discover that the performance of the laptop when powered through the docking station are 1/3 with respect to when it's powered by the 65W power supply and 1/2 of when the laptop is on battery... (234pt vs 640pt vs 563pt | dock/65W/battery)

Now since the docking station has a 135W power supply, I really can't think that this is an issue with the supply from the docking. Also since the laptop is even faster on battery I really don't understand how it could be related to the power supply... anyway I've connected both the 65W power supply and the docking and the performance are back to normal.
Is there anyone who can suggest me what's going on or how to report this to Lenovo?

AT17
Punch Card
Views: 2,196
Message 2 of 8

Re: Thunderbolt 3 dock & Yoga X1 3rd gen

Hello,

i have the same setup (X1 Yoga 3rd Gen + Thunderbolt Dock)  and dont experience less or different performance.

I have 2 monitors with display port and couple of USB devices connected to the Dock. Also using 2 external and the Yoga monitor at the same time was never a problem.

What tests have you done to measure the performance?

best regards,
AT

GortiZ6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,193
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

I've only LAN, 1 VGA monitor e a couple usb periferasl connected.

The test was the same done on notebookcheck -> https://www.maxon.net/it/prodotti/cinebench/

GortiZ6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,137
Message 4 of 8

Somebody else has tried this benchmark test? I've done all the updates available on Lenovo Vantage (BIOS, Thermal/Power, Graphics), but nothing has changed.

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 2,121
Message 5 of 8

It is likely a thunderbolt driver or firmware issue. Try update it with newest version

JovanJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,926
Message 6 of 8

Hey guys, i too bought the Thunderbolt Dock when i was purchasing my X1 Yoga 3gen, which was suggested by Lenovo, a few weeks ago.

Since then i am having issues with the dock. There is no problem when connecting the monitors, but the USB ports do not work.

I read about the same problem on this forum, but it was for the Carbon 5gen model. 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht503639

Tried this guide too, but no luck what so ever.

I Installed the latest driver, even updated the Firmware of the Dock. I am out of Ideas...

Can anyone help?

GortiZ6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,909
Message 7 of 8

Hi JovanJ,

AFAIT updating the firmware and then updating the PC with the latest updates (that were published a couple days after my post) fixed the issue. I've had no problems with the USB ports ever since. Are you sure you connected the PC to the right port on the dock? You should use the port on the back of the dock, not the one on the front.

JovanJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,899
Message 8 of 8

Yes, i was using the C port on the back from the start.

I fiddled with the Bios Setting though:

1. "Wake up by Thunderbolt 3" - Set to Enabled
2. Support in Pre Boot Environment - User Authorisation

This did the trick for me. All USB 3.0 ports are working.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors